Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th April 2005, 12:39 PM   #1
Spunjer

Thumbs up

hey zel!
nice to hear from you! glad to hear you're having a good time. yeah, i can't believe how sabong is so big over there. i knew it was popular back then, but when i was there the last time, can't believe how big it got. been to capiz yet?
as for internet access, it's all over manila, bro. seems like there's an internet cafe in every corner...

btw, i'm still having flashbacks from the way people drive over there, lol!
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 04:21 PM   #2
Spunjer

conogre,
as far as being eagerly sought for food, i'm not familiar with that. if anything, it's more of a delicacy. also, as far as fauna is concerned, that's different. what i mentioned were supernatural beings, transforming into an animal form...

another thing i notice about the hilt is this: what appears to be horns are actually more of a representation of eyes, ala snail. comments?
Attached Images

Old 16th April 2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

Spunjer , those features start from the jaw line ; couldn't they also be interpreted as tusks (ala Boar) ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 06:45 PM   #4
Bill

a couple of things to concider, in the last hundred years hardwoods were stripped from these islands wiping out species. but new unknown species or ones thought to be extinct are also found. Mix that with lost superstitions & myths, I think some of these critters may be hard to guess & may have been copies of hilts going back a couple hundred years, more traditional than a likeness of a present critter. From what I have seen, there seems to be a lot more bats than birds, the bats do well in the palm trees, the birds likely suffered with the lack of hardwoods. With compition between bats, likely several species became extinct.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Spunjer

bill,
that's a good point. a lot of the species are extinct. although this bat might know something:

rick, as far as boar tusk; anything is possible. we are just speculating here, so i can't say whose wrong or right... good observation