Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th March 2008, 11:14 AM   #1
Andy Stevens

Default Info on Katar

Got old warrior today, and for a very nice price. I love these old Indian Katars, so much character. I'm just wandering if anyone can give me a rough date for the weapon, and the region of origin. If I wanted to fill the two little rust holes, can anyone recommend a good product?

Blade length:25cm
Handle " " ": 20cm
The tip is thicker and more bulbous: is this for armour piercing?
Attached Images

Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 02:51 PM   #2
katana

Hi Andy,
the widening of the tip is indeed for armour piercing. As to repairing the heavily rusted areas.....I would leave it alone. Metal 'fillers' do not have a metallic look and would be very noticeable. Infilling with welding would be possible, but heat 'build up' could affect the blades temper. So it would have to be done a little at a time, ( very labourious) to allow it to cool between welds. Obviously the finished weld would have to be ground down to match the profile of the blade and probably would still show up as there may be colour variation between the 'weld' steel and the blade.

Unfortunately the rust damage considerably de-values it.

If you are unhappy with the Katar, and want to sell it you could always PM me I actually like old 'beaten up' warriors

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Andy Stevens

Hi David,
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to leave it alone, have started cleaning the blade.... I think its love
Hopefully will be on the wall by the end of the week. If I do ever tire of it, I will pm you. I will probably sell on the Tanto that came with it- Japanese stuff not really my thing! Regards Andy
Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote