Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd February 2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Bill S

Default Blade Cleaning

Hi, I'm new to the board, and new to keris. In fact, the first keris I ever saw close up was one my wife fell in love with and purchased about two weeks ago. But since then I've been trying to learn all that I can about them. This discussion board has been wonderful in that respect, and I know I'll be a regular follower of it.

In a thread under the "Classics" section of this board there is a fascinating discussion about the cleaning process for keris blades - utilizing citric acid from lemons and arsenic. Obviously these are traditional methods, and may have as much value for ceremonial or traditional reasons as for practical. But I can see where the average collector of keris may not feel comfortable using arsenic at home. Or may simply find it too difficult to obtain.

What are the board members' opinions on using other safer and more available chemicals instead? What come to my mind would be the types of chemicals used for de-rusting and bluing firearms. Dilute phosphoric acid is commonly used to remove rust and old bluing from fireams, and does the job well without eating away at the polished surfaces of firearms. There are many forms of bluing - some would not be appropriate for treating a keris - but what about liquid cold-bluing chemicals? They would darken iron and steel to a black or nearly black color, and would not affect the nickel in the pamor. Application and treatment for these chemicals would be very similar to the processes described for citric acid and arsenic, but the cold-bluing chemicals would be far safer - at least for the person involved. Would it be OK for the keris blade?

At this point I'm merely curious - I don't foresee cleaning or treating any blades in the near future. But I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on the subject.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 11:38 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Bump
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 06:26 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Bill, you can clean a blade with just about any acidic agent--- vinegar, various fruit juices, dilute acids, Coca Cola---almost anything. But some things are better than others.

The same is true of staining. I taught myself to use asenic about 50 years ago. In my opinion it gives the very best results of anything. But there are other agents that can be used.

I think a lot has been written on this subject both in this Warung Kopi group, and in the old Forum. If you do a bit of digging I feel you might find a week's reading for yourself.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 11:03 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum.
I completely agree with Alan on a couple of points. Firstly that arsenic will give the best results. Other staining agents will affect the metal in similar ways, but the resulting colors will never be quite right.
Secondly, as a new member i cannot recommend to you more that you try using the search function to see where this forum and the main forum have already been on any particular subject. The Classic thread you read is just one of many threads that have been posted on this subject. Dig around a bit first and if you don't find the answers you are looking for try posting a more specific question.
David is offline   Reply With Quote