Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th May 2007, 08:10 AM   #1
eftihis

Default African masks

Hi, i friend of mine is researching the local way of expression during "apokries" (something like halloween) in Crete, which include dances and happenings wearing masks. He wants to make comparative study of other cultures that using masks for ceremonies, i guess mainly African.
My question is:
-Are there any classical books on the subject of masks?
-Are there any sites that have examples of "preferably original" masks for sale? Preferably in Europe?
Thanks!
eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 09:51 AM   #2
asomotif

hello Eftihis,

Apokries is more something like Carnival, (rather than Halloween)
It takes place in the spring and has to do with not eating certain products like meat.

Most books on the market will be about african masks, but there must also be books on european masks. I am quite sure that I once saw something on masks from Zwitserland. That will be more in line with tradition from Crete.
Maybe some searching on big websites like amazon and abebooks will bring up some interesting books as a start.

Good luck.

Willem
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Books on masks from the Americas and Africa are plentiful. The European masking tradition is a lot harder to find good information on. One book I have that has a European section is "Masks, their meaning and function" there are a few copies on Amazon UK. This book is general with rather wide and basic interpretations of the function of masks in Europe but interesting none the less. The pictures of European masks concentrate on the Alpine and Tyrol tradition.
Anther book available on amazon UK is "the masks of Prof. Agostino Dessi" This book is a about the contemporary Venetian festival masks made by the Prof.
Much the same basic information found anywhere but is very pretty to look at and is a living tradition. I know this is not about weapons but one picture cannot hurt?

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 9th May 2007 at 07:09 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 03:32 AM   #4
Bill M

Eftis, There is a fairly active forum / Yahoo board on African Art. Email me and I will send you the link.

I know a few dealers in Paris and Belgium who sell African art, but the pieces are expensive.

I also like this author below. He has very interesing ideas on African art.

http://www.amazon.com/African-Sculpt.../dp/0306800187

Tim, I am looking for that book you recommended also if you have a link.

African art fascinates me. Guess I should throw in a few weapons to be appropriate on this Forum, but I would also like to know of other forums on African art.

I'll shut up now and go polish a sword........
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote