Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th October 2024, 02:05 AM   #1
AHite

Default My Talibong collection

I now have six Talibong knives in my collection. This type of Filipino knife appears to have been a favorite souvenir of US servicemen stationed there since the early 1900s. They are the most common ethnographic knife I find here in the US at antique malls, flea markets, and gun shows. I have passed on several because the prices were way too high. Seems like dealers don't know anything about the knives and threw out a price they hoped would stick.

Mine range from a short knife length to the one on the far left that is a short sword. That Talibong might be the oldest one, and the blade is far better finished than the rest. All are chisel grind blades and hold a sharp edge. Handles have a variety of carving, and one has a replacement handle made of antler. Although not correct it does give my decent sized hand a better grip. I am just sharing my small collection but welcome any comments or further information.

Andrew
Attached Images

AHite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2024, 03:48 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Interesting group of tailbones/garbs
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2024, 01:21 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for sharing your collection of these knives. I think these all date to WWII and the post-war period when they were popular souvenirs for returning US servicemen. They are still being produced today in souvenir and general-use versions.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2024, 09:01 PM   #4
Rafngard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
They are still being produced today in souvenir and general-use versions.
They are very much in everyday use in Bisaya today.
In Samar, in February of this year, we saw people using the knife-sized versions as work knifes (in particular in the Market at Basay), and we saw multiple farmers in Santa Rita walking around with the Sundang-sized ones at their hips.

These are very much part of a living tradition.

Have fun,
Leif
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote