Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th August 2024, 06:47 AM   #1
JeffS

Default Kachin style dha/dao

This was a gamble that paid off. No scabbard It was from the sellers grandfather believed to have been collected during WWII. The seller thought the handle was sheet steel but turned out to be high quality thick silver. The sword reminds me of swords from HuSa but I can not determine the construction yet. If hairpin, I suppose it would be classed as a sword dao. It was very rusty. The tang is unusually long extending almost full length of handle. There is also a hole and woven ring at pommel, wondering if it may have had a tassle or some such attached. I'm also seeing some type of regular marking in strips perpendicular to the blade (photo below) that looks to be a result of a tool, reminding me of similar marking from another dha I shared here. These are pretty shallow and I may opt to polish them out. There is also extensive scoring parallel to the blade as well as another form at a diagonal (not the same as sharpening marks also present) resulting in a crosshatch of markings difficult to interpret origin and reason.
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2024, 09:12 AM   #2
Iain

A nice sword Jeff, and lovely to see the original silver and lacquer grip. The hole in the pommel is nothing more than the natural material used, which is a hollow bamboo.

Looking forward to seeing it cleaned up.

PS: I wouldn't worry about the naming convention, dha, dao, daab.... all means the same thing.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote