Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th July 2024, 05:17 PM   #1
BBJW

Default unknown maker'stamp

Sorry that I'm unable to post a photo at this time. Cutlass marked for the West India Dock Co. and the museum said it was approx. from circa 1812 and would I donate it! The very wide curved blade is marked with a small boat and letters F & H on either side of the mast. I haven't been able to find the maker and hope someone will recognize it.--cheers- bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2024, 09:37 PM   #2
werecow

This thread might be worth checking out (again, since you posted on it ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
As far as I could find, the F H initials on either side of the apparent mast on the 'vessel' ? are most likely to Friedrich Horster of Solingen (1825-1875).
What is odd is that he only used initials F H on his blades.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2024, 11:20 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks for posting this again BJ.
It seems that all the dialogue and research data since 2008 is literally all there is out there on this unusual mark. It is not recorded in any of the compendiums on markings, but the initials seem to correspond only to Freidrich Horster in business 1825-1875.
As has been shown this mark occurs on a Blucher type stirrup hilt which is a later form which actually remained in use until WWI.

While Horster remained in business until 1875, I would note that the WEST INDIA DOCKS CO. only remained under that designation until 1838. That would set the period for this cutlass 1825-1838?

The security force presumably using these numbered only 100 men, and as these are numbered, rack numbers suggest of course that as many as 100 of these existed (so far only this one with number 51 is known). Interesting that in 2008 you noted this was acquired with another perhaps dockyard cutlass which was unmarked.

I doubt that without reaching out to the museum in Solingen who has notable records of makers, or perhaps the National Maritime Museum there will be little luck in finding further response on this mark. We can always hope, but what we have so far is pretty compelling.

It is a wonderful example of a cutlass to a force of men little known historically who guarded the commerce in one of the most vital ports in England in these times. It is doubtful that many of these swords are still around from such a limited number, making this weapon all the more exciting!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote