Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th July 2024, 02:19 AM   #1
Pitt1999

I have a photo of the tang, as you can tell I haven't gotten around to cleaning it. I'll have to take a closer look at the blade later to see if there is a hamon. I had a theory about what this knife could be before I arrived at the "island sword" theory.

My theory was that this was the Japanese equivalent of the G.I. produced theater knives, or that this was some Japanese farmer's working knife. This knife looks like it was very hastily constructed with limited materials and without proper equiment needed to produce a higher quality piece. When I first purchased this knife I immediately assumed it was Japanese made due to the bamboo mekugi. I made the assumption that someone attempting to copy a tanto would simply make the mekugi out of whatever wood they had available to them rather than go through the effort of making them out of bamboo.

I should have provided some measurements in my opening post. If I remember correctly, it is 12 1/2 inches overall with an 8 inch blade (7 1/2 if you subtract the length of the habaki). I will also add that if this is a Filipino made copy of a tanto, whoever made it actually took note of the purpose of the habaki. When sheathing this knife the habaki does prevent the blade from falling out of the scabbard, I have to shake it around a fair bit before the knife falls out.
Attached Images

Pitt1999 is online now   Reply With Quote