Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th November 2017, 09:24 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Thank you very much for this mail, it is most interesting, and may lead to a bewtter understanding of the symbolism of decoration.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Alan, thank you so much for that fascinating insight into possibilities for these otherwise presumably decorative symbolisms. There are profound complexities in Hindu symbolism, but as Indian weaponry has in many cases been observed as holding much inherent value in these religious aspects it must be strongly considered. Often what seems to the uninitiated to be simple aesthetic decoration has much deeper meaning.

As you well point out, these kinds of symbolism transcend weapon forms but remain inherent in many which are attributed to those of Hindu Faith.

Jens, I know what you mean about recognizing your well known place in the study of these katars as just a collector, but powerfully advanced in this field. Very, very few collectors ever pursue the history, development and classification of these the way you have, and frankly I am extremely proud of what I have learned from you these many years.

That set aside, I look forward to the examples, and Alan's observation on this decoration is excellent. As Ibrahiim has noted, this distinct design of the linear 'V's does occur on Omani arms, and I wonder if perhaps the notable trade from coastal India to Arabia may account for such occurrence?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 01:01 AM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Thank you Jim and interesting about the India Oman link regarding the zig zag pattern. Here are two Omani Swords (Sayf Yamaani)with the zig zag placed in the same part of the weapon as on the Katar; thus my query....
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 01:38 AM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Returning to the thread and the question which is what were the better quality Katars? I presume the daggers worn at court fall into the same category.. Pinterest has a lot of very ornate examples at:

https://www.pinterest.com/wmilitaria...rs/?lp=truebut

I picked out a couple to place here...The older example with a full handguard form being 17thC and the other showing both sides 18thC. It would seem reasonable to inspect Mughal Court paintings of the period for examples of artwork displaying Katar being worn however these are miniatures and fine detail is not easy to see...

As already stated surely koftgari and finely made scabbards and those examples with semi precious stones incorporated into the design would be likely suspects as court swords or as better quality Katar?
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 10th November 2017 at 02:08 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 03:19 AM   #5
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Returning to the thread and the question which is what were the better quality Katars? I presume the daggers worn at court fall into the same category.. Pinterest has a lot of very ornate examples at:

https://www.pinterest.com/wmilitaria...rs/?lp=truebut
The Met Museum has many excellent examples.
https://www.pinterest.com/worldantiq...f-art-collect/
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 06:55 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Jim, there is very obscure symbolism and iconography in most traditional cultures and the art of those cultures.

For example, most of the art of the Renaissance and the Middle Ages was religious art, and it is all loaded with iconography:- you see a rose, there is a message, you see a lily, there is a different message. Even into the 19th century some artists were still using the symbolism from the past, probably not as often, nor as cleverly, but it did crop up.

When we involve ourselves in attempts to understand the art and design motifs of past societies, we need to be able to think in a way that is in tune with the people from the society that we are attempting to come to terms with. In the case of a society that is based in Hindu religion and the attendant culture, we are really quite fortunate, because apart from sources authored by Hindu people themselves, we have a lot of material that was authored by the British, many of whom were captivated by Hindu culture.

However, any iconography can only apply within the context to which it is related. If we see little upwards pointing triangles in a Hindu context, we know exactly what we are looking at, always dependent upon context, but if we see a line of those little triangles cut into cloth on the kitchen table, well, all we might be seeing is the result of somebody using pinking shears.

Similarly, if we see a line of those little VVVVVV on a Hindu weapon, we know how to approach an understanding of them within a Hindu context, but if we see those VVVVVV in a different context we may only be looking at an ornamental motif. The ornamental motif may have been inspired by religious iconography, but removed from its original context it no longer has the original meaning.

Just as a rose in 21st century pop art is simply a rose
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Jens Nordlunde

Alan is right, and in the start it took me a long time to figure out, that you need knowledge of how they were thinking at the time, and try to think so yourself.
This means, that one need to have some background knowledge, or the understanding of the decoration will be lost.
Thank you Alan for making this clear.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote