Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th July 2017, 01:24 AM   #1
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
That's a crime; and now someone has to go through the insurance process.

Not a single FRAGILE sticker?
That's also a crime.
Yea not very well packaged but this particular dealer does sell a lot of swords and probably has not ran into this type of problem before, lulled into a sense of security. The funny this is that right before I got home and found this I had shipped a very long naginata in full koshirae for some repair work and even though I packed it quite good seeing this damaged sword made me wish I did a better job.

This is the first damaged item I have received in many years, I posted this as a warning for anyone who may be shipping or receiving a sword, gun etc that maybe should be over protected just in case. I will be sending this image to people I deal with. Plastic gun cases with foam lining are not expensive and would probably have prevented this from happening......what really makes me mad is seeing a beautiful sword like this one destroyed, what a waste.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 02:08 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Now, if you don't want any damage...
Expensive but reusable.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 03:04 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Thumbs down

In my experience, where possible use a ROUND TUBE rather than a box. Not entirely fool proof but stronger I believe, and pack item as tight as possible. Do not leave gaps in the internal packaging which will reduce strength.
Sad to see the damage caused here, and though the sword may never but recovered, at least I hope that insurance will cover the cost.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 08:35 AM   #4
Lee
EAAF Staff

Unhappy Ouch!

I expect that even an adequate insurance reimbursement will not fully cure that sickening feeling down in the gut. It would be interesting to know how this damage was achieved. Perhaps it was sticking out on one side of a forklift load and whammed into a structural support?

I have had one return from Lew's estate sale and the re-used packaging had a kink just like that. The repacking had omitted the tip restraint it had departed with and so the tip was sticking out of one end by about ¾ of an inch. Remarkably, I am happy to report the keris penjang inside was entirely intact and there were no blood stains.

I have some nicely made custom wooden air freight crates, as well as segments of heavy plastic pipe up in the attic left over from inbound shipments and such packaging might have saved this sword. However, I doubt many would be enthusiastic about the added costs, except for the most valuable shipments.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 10:14 AM   #5
Victrix

Looking at the damage on the item I would argue that this is not a case of poor packaging but criminal negligence by the transporter. Damage like this requires considerable force. The many priority stickers on the package should have made it clear to the transporter that there is something reasonably valuable inside.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 10:55 AM   #6
ariel

There is no physical defense against an unpredictable accident. Traditional packing is usually enough, but rare event is always a possibility. The box might have fallen from the pallet and run over by a truck.
That's why God created insurance . Never skimp on it, never accommodate a buyer who wants to save money on insurance premium or ( very often) import dues.
Loss of a beautiful irreplaceable antique is emotionally traumatic enough, but at least one can recover monetary damages. Cold comfort is better than none.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 02:10 PM   #7
mariusgmioc

Asolutely, sickening!

A sword that has survived in good condition hundreds of years, to be destroyed (albeit not completely) by some idiots...

Similar things happened to me two times: once with a Thracian Sica that was broken and another time with an Iznic ceramic vase. Both items were insured and I got all my money back... BUT THAT DID NOT HELP MUCH as I remained with the devastating feeling of having some pieces of history irreplaceably destroyed...

However, it this case it is not the shipper's fault as the damage resulted from exceptionally strong forces that were applied to the package. No normal packaging could withstand the forces that bent the sword like this. In my oppinion is solely the carrier's fault.

PS: Both, the sword and the scabbard can be repaired... albeit, they will never be like before...
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote