Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th November 2016, 06:57 AM   #1
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
But while short grips in Indian swords were a (sort of) standard situation, i believe the majority of cup hilt swords grips had normal lengths, notwithstanding relatively short ones were so because as, the manner to hold the sword with finger/s wraping the front section, would not need them to be made larger.

Fernando, you have an interesting sword here... blade ground to a "flamberge" profile, and the unusually short grip. Note that the knucklebow extends further back at its finial than the length of the grip would warrant -- it seems to be of "normal" size which makes me wonder if this was a rapier assembled by a cutler specifically for a customer of very short stature, using everything of standard size but cutting the tang down accordingly, or else it was a sword that started out typical but which was modified after-the-fact, some time later in its working life. Either way, it's an intriguing example for study.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 04:27 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
Fernando, you have an interesting sword here...
Pity this one is not mine; actualy it belonged in a collection from which i have bought a couple examples ... but not this one.

Quote:
... Note that the knucklebow extends further back at its finial than the length of the grip would warrant -- it seems to be of "normal" size
A detail i confess i have overlooked .

Quote:
which makes me wonder if this was a rapier assembled by a cutler specifically for a customer of very short stature, using everything of standard size but cutting the tang down accordingly, or else it was a sword that started out typical but which was modified after-the-fact, some time later in its working life.
But then, one may wonder why, having to shorten the grip, at whatever stage, why not adjusting the knucklebow accordingly ?

Quote:
Either way, it's an intriguing example for study...
Indeed.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote