Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th July 2014, 04:18 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Interesting observations folks! Maraming Salamat to you all! Now I know: Pampangan.......
Walang anuman Jose
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

In looking for other examples I went through Artzi's old sales on Oriental Arms web site. Could only find one possible example (no. 11156) shown here:
Attached Images

Old 17th July 2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Ian, It would be my opinion that with this particular blade style and the tooled leather scabbard that this piece is most likely from Batangas and not Pampanga like the others shown in this post. I am in the middle of moving my collection as my wife has graciously consented to my taking over an entire room dedicated solely for its display. As of now most of the items are still stored in boxes but I will try to find the other two examples, take photos and post them here.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
... this particular blade style and the tooled leather scabbard that this piece is most likely from Batangas and not Pampanga like the others shown in this post. ...
Yes, Robert, I agree that it could well be from Batangas. Hilts made of horn are quite common there, although the leather sheath and belt seem to have been fairly widespread in the late 19th/early 20th C. and one can find many different styles with such sheaths--"Negrito," Ilocano, etc.

Ian
Old 17th July 2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Ian, I agree that the leather scabbard and belts are found in many other location in the Philippines. Ilocos Norte would probably have been a better choice of where this last knife/sword was from. As yet I have never seen an older leather sheath that could be attributed to Apalit/Pampanga, only wooden ones.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
In looking for other examples I went through Artzi's old sales on Oriental Arms web site. Could only find one possible example (no. 11156) shown here:
I am with Robert here, most probable a Batangas piece.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 12:00 PM   #7
Sajen

Here another nice old example sold recently by ebay.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 07:46 AM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

In doing a little more research about Apalit and swordmaking, I came across an article in a Filipino newspaper that describes the town as a center for swordmaking before and during the Spanish period.
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/104837/...es-to-pampanga

The article mentions that the Apalit area had a long history of weapons manufacturing and likely: "... forged cannons and other weapons for the pre-Spanish Kapampangan kingdoms."

The historian who wrote this piece also was looking for a sword called "Bartolome" that was supposed to have been used by Katipuneros under the command of Andres Bonifacio:
“... unlike the common sword, the blade of Bartolome is “wave-like,” owing to curves similar to the kris. ... We’re told by old swordsmiths that the favorite of Katipuneros were this Bartolome. Those Katipuneros belonged to the Magdiwang group that Bonifacio led ... A foot and a half in length, the Bartolome had long been out of production.”
Has anyone seen or heard about this "Bartolome" sword? A picture would be great.

Ian
Old 18th June 2015, 01:36 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Great article and info Ian.

I have been wondering more about this piece here since the leather work on the sheath looks more Tagalog than anything else, as well as the horn carving. The blade is 2 feet long and wavy, not quite like that of Ilokano daggers.

Here is a link to my original post:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=ilocano+sword

What do you think? Could my piece be a "Bartolome"?
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 06:56 AM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Jose:

That is a wonderful Tagalog interpretation of a kris. I'm thinking First Republic period perhaps. The carving on the hilt is first class.

I don't know whether your example might be one of these mysterious Bartolome swords. It seems strange that we have not heard of it before and that more flambé Tagalog swords have not surfaced if this style was widely adopted by an important faction of the Katipuneros.

The reliability of the story is hard to assess and based on eye witness accounts of people who are no longer alive.

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Great article and info Ian.

I have been wondering more about this piece here since the leather work on the sheath looks more Tagalog than anything else, as well as the horn carving. The blade is 2 feet long and wavy, not quite like that of Ilokano daggers.

Here is a link to my original post:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=ilocano+sword

What do you think? Could my piece be a "Bartolome"?
Old 18th June 2015, 05:27 AM   #11
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
In doing a little more research about Apalit and swordmaking, I came across an article in a Filipino newspaper that describes the town as a center for swordmaking before and during the Spanish period.
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/104837/...es-to-pampanga

The article mentions that the Apalit area had a long history of weapons manufacturing and likely: "... forged cannons and other weapons for the pre-Spanish Kapampangan kingdoms."

The historian who wrote this piece also was looking for a sword called "Bartolome" that was supposed to have been used by Katipuneros under the command of Andres Bonifacio:
“... unlike the common sword, the blade of Bartolome is “wave-like,” owing to curves similar to the kris. ... We’re told by old swordsmiths that the favorite of Katipuneros were this Bartolome. Those Katipuneros belonged to the Magdiwang group that Bonifacio led ... A foot and a half in length, the Bartolome had long been out of production.”
Has anyone seen or heard about this "Bartolome" sword? A picture would be great.

Ian
Thanks for sharing the info Ian!
The Magdiwang chapter of the Katipunan were all from Noveleta Cavite, and they were the rival group of Aguinaldos Magdalo chapter(located in same Cavite province but in the town of Imus). When the 1896 Revolution broke out, Bonifacio left Manila and entered Cavite where he associated himself more with the Magdiwang group, which was headed by General Mariano Alvarez. Mariano also had a son named Santiago who was also a general. The Alvarezs were in-laws to Emilio Aguinaldo. General Santiago Alvarez was one of the few that kept a diary and detailed accounts about the Katipunan and the revolution, which by many is considered a excellent primary reference. I have General Santiagos book, but he does not give any account of the types of bolos they used. This is the first I am hearing about a wavey style blade with the name Bartolome...particularly with the Magdiwangs being from the Tagalog region, wavy blades were not common I believe.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 07:16 AM   #12
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks for the additional information. The sword of Sto Bartolome in the picture you show reminds me of the clipped point bolo that is sometimes referred to as a "Bonifacio." We have discussed this style previously on this forum and perhaps on the old UBB forum. Attached is an example.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Thanks for sharing the info Ian!
The Magdiwang chapter of the Katipunan were all from Noveleta Cavite, and they were the rival group of Aguinaldos Magdalo chapter(located in same Cavite province but in the town of Imus). When the 1896 Revolution broke out, Bonifacio left Manila and entered Cavite where he associated himself more with the Magdiwang group, which was headed by General Mariano Alvarez. Mariano also had a son named Santiago who was also a general. The Alvarezs were in-laws to Emilio Aguinaldo. General Santiago Alvarez was one of the few that kept a diary and detailed accounts about the Katipunan and the revolution, which by many is considered a excellent primary reference. I have General Santiagos book, but he does not give any account of the types of bolos they used. This is the first I am hearing about a wavey style blade with the name Bartolome...particularly with the Magdiwangs being from the Tagalog region, wavy blades were not common I believe.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 2nd October 2017 at 04:22 PM.