Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st February 2014, 05:37 AM   #1
ariel

It is difficult to be certain without handling the sword, but...
The blade appears to be well made, heavy, and carrying some signs of wear and tear ( even pitting). Hara Morin, what is the quality of steel?
The thin lateral fullers are hand made, cut out somewhat unevenly. The inscriptions and cartouches are hand carved, not cheaply etched.
The distal fullering is reminiscent of some Persian blades : see, for example, Figiel's catalogue, #2033, as well as its Amuzgi ( not Atagi, as mentioned earlier, sorry, I was inattentive) imitation from the Astvatsaturyan's book on caucasian weapons.The tip is reminiscent of the Indo-Persian Gaddara ( see Pant) as well as the above-mentioned Figiel's sword. The language of the inscription is uncertain, thus we cannot presently call it "nonsensical". Perhaps it is, but don't we need stronger data before passing a verdict?

The number of cartouches and other symbols seems to be unusual, but there are plenty unusual swords from the region. Moreover, there are old Indian/Persian swords with more than "traditional two" symbols/cartouches.

With all due respect for Artzi's opinion, I cannot see much similarity between the damascus pattern here and the routine, mass-produced " bird's eye" on the contemporary Indian fakes.

A colleague from a Russian forum claimed that he saw an almost identical one bought by his friend in S. Pakistan without even a slightest pretense on the part of the seller to call it antique. If true ( and I would love to see it) it would be a very strong argument. Had anybody here saw its twins?

I am not rooting for this sword, and opinions of many members here are largely in favor of its recent production. So be it, if it is true. But if it is a fake, it is one of the most labor-intense fakes I have seen.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 09:33 AM   #2
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
But if it is a fake, it is one of the most labor-intense fakes I have seen.
There are much, much better copies floating around People just get carried away by "features" and "references", they assume the origin based on likelihood, appearance and how well the sword is made, not where and when Of course they look like well known book swords, this is what the artists use as a template!
I have seen similar swords years ago, with identical stamps and pattern. As Ariel mentioned, this one is above average (relatively speaking), but I bet the blade is stiff and not bendable. Hara, can you confirm it please. How does the blade feel in hands?
Attached is another example of recent Indian blade with imitation (acid/hand mix) cartouche, multiple fullers and even a forge defect. Needles to say, this is far from much better quality copies that often employ elaborate gold inlays and scripts.
Attached Images

ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 04:49 PM   #3
Hara_morin

i have not this sword in my hands, i see only these pics
Hara_morin is offline   Reply With Quote