Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th November 2005, 04:59 PM   #6
nechesh

Thanks for you informative comments T.C. and a very happy Eid to you.
The question on the removal of antiquities is always a tough one. I do understand your concern, but i must agree with Martin to some extent as well. You are, unfortunately, a minority in a nation which becomes more and more "westernized" as global economy takes it's toll on indigenous culture. Many artifacts are indeed rusting into oblivion due to the lack of interest by the present and next generations. Do we watch that happen or make an attempt to save what can be saved. If Martin's new keris were confiscated at the border, where would it have ended up? Would it now be rust-free and restored? Would it be in the hands of someone who loved and treasured it or lying in some draw slowly rusting away?
BTW, i don't think there are really any keris experts here, just enthusiasts and lovers of a dying artform seeking as much knowledge and understanding as we can find in the limited resources available to us.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote