Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th August 2012, 05:11 PM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

EVIDENTLY THESE KNIVES DO NOT EXHIST I WENT THRU STONES GLOSSARY AND FOR THE FIRST TIME IT FAILED ME. I COULD NOT FIND IT MENTIONED AS GUNONG OR BADIK NOT EVEN A PICTURE IN THE ENTIRE BOOK UNLESS I MISSED IT. I HAD HOPED TO FIND IT IN STONES AS THAT WOULD HAVE AT LEAST ESTABLISHED IT PRE 1934 WHEN STONES WAS COPYWRITED. I DIDN'T SEE IT IN CATOS BOOK BUT AS IT DEALS SPECIFICALLY WITH MORO SWORDS ITS NOT A SURPRIZE.
I THINK I USED TO CALL WHAT IS TODAY CALLED A GUNONG A BADIK BUT AM NOT SURE. PERHAPS SOMEONE HAS OLDER BOOKS ON PHILIPPINE KNIVES AND SWORDS WHERE THESE DAGGERS ARE PICTURED SO A TIMELINE CAN BE ESTABLISHED.
AFTER WW2 THINGS WENT INTO HIGH GEAR IN THE PHILIPPINES WITH REBUILDING IT WAS A TIME OF GROWTH AND OPPORTUNITYS FOR GAINING WEALTH WERE ON THE RISE. THERE WAS PLENTY OF METAL EASILY AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO WORKED IT. SOLDIERS ALL HAD FIGHTING KNIVES SO IT IS LIKELY THE LOCALS WOULD BE LOOKING TO BUY A KNIFE TOO AND MANY MORE WOULD HAVE HAD THE MONEY TO AFFORD ONE. THE SOLDIERS WERE A READY MARKET TOO BUT WERE NOT THE ONLY MARKET. THE TOURISTS CAME A BIT LATER AFTER WW2 AS EVERYONE WAS EITHER REBUILDING OR CATCHING THEIR BREATH AFTER SUCH A TERRIBLE WAR.

I AM PRETTY SURE THE GUNONG WAS AROUND BEFORE WW2 BUT MOST WERE NOT FANCY OR LARGE AND WERE CARRIED CONCELED FOR PROTECTION NOT FOR DISPLAY OR WORK KNIVES. JUST CONJECTURE AS I NO LONGER REMEMBER WHERE I GOT THAT INFORMATION OR IDEA.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 05:37 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Kronckew, i like your first example. Looks well constructed. Are the fittings silver? So hard to tell in photos. Certainly a solid piece with some age on it. Again, i'm wondering when certain changes took place such as the more bulbous and pistol shaped hilt.
David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 07:52 AM   #3
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Kronckew, i like your first example. Looks well constructed. Are the fittings silver? ...
hard to tell, definitely not aluminum, tarnish is black as i'd expect from silver. might be low grade Ag. doesn't look like the nickel 'silver' on some of my other knives.

the lower one's fittings appear to be tinned brass.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

When I talk of bulbous I am referring to the large bulbous midsection like the large pistol grip of the later pieces. My silver one below is a smaller one and I believe it comes from the late 1910s to early 1920s.
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

By large and bulbous I am referring to this which I believe to be from the 1930s (also notice the bulbous pistol grip and the okir on the scabbard).
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 08:16 AM   #6
migueldiaz

here's another example (from steve) of a gunong where the 'bulb' is just starting to 'grow' ...
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Ferguson

Robert,
Sorry to take so long to reply. Although I love the gunong, and have quite a few, I'm no scholar. I've loved reading the posts here, and have learned a lot. I have a feeling, based on my gut, and not knowledge, that your piece is post-WWII. But it's a lovely, finely crafted piece, made with traditional bladesmithing methods. Quite a fine blade! Congratulations!

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 05:38 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
EVIDENTLY THESE KNIVES DO NOT EXHIST I WENT THRU STONES GLOSSARY AND FOR THE FIRST TIME IT FAILED ME. I COULD NOT FIND IT MENTIONED AS GUNONG OR BADIK NOT EVEN A PICTURE IN THE ENTIRE BOOK UNLESS I MISSED IT. I HAD HOPED TO FIND IT IN STONES AS THAT WOULD HAVE AT LEAST ESTABLISHED IT PRE 1934 WHEN STONES WAS COPYWRITED. I DIDN'T SEE IT IN CATOS BOOK BUT AS IT DEALS SPECIFICALLY WITH MORO SWORDS ITS NOT A SURPRIZE.
I THINK I USED TO CALL WHAT IS TODAY CALLED A GUNONG A BADIK BUT AM NOT SURE. PERHAPS SOMEONE HAS OLDER BOOKS ON PHILIPPINE KNIVES AND SWORDS WHERE THESE DAGGERS ARE PICTURED SO A TIMELINE CAN BE ESTABLISHED.
AFTER WW2 THINGS WENT INTO HIGH GEAR IN THE PHILIPPINES WITH REBUILDING IT WAS A TIME OF GROWTH AND OPPORTUNITYS FOR GAINING WEALTH WERE ON THE RISE. THERE WAS PLENTY OF METAL EASILY AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO WORKED IT. SOLDIERS ALL HAD FIGHTING KNIVES SO IT IS LIKELY THE LOCALS WOULD BE LOOKING TO BUY A KNIFE TOO AND MANY MORE WOULD HAVE HAD THE MONEY TO AFFORD ONE. THE SOLDIERS WERE A READY MARKET TOO BUT WERE NOT THE ONLY MARKET. THE TOURISTS CAME A BIT LATER AFTER WW2 AS EVERYONE WAS EITHER REBUILDING OR CATCHING THEIR BREATH AFTER SUCH A TERRIBLE WAR.

I AM PRETTY SURE THE GUNONG WAS AROUND BEFORE WW2 BUT MOST WERE NOT FANCY OR LARGE AND WERE CARRIED CONCELED FOR PROTECTION NOT FOR DISPLAY OR WORK KNIVES. JUST CONJECTURE AS I NO LONGER REMEMBER WHERE I GOT THAT INFORMATION OR IDEA.
Barry, i'm not at home with my books, but did you check under the name "punal" or "kris punal"?
David is online now   Reply With Quote