Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th October 2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question Ulas like club

I have this coming and only have the one picture. Sold as a Fijian Ulas? I am not an expert but I do not think it is an Ulas. It is 49cm long, rather long for Ulas? Something about it makes me think of the New Hebrides? I do not think is is from the Solomons. I have illustrations of short clubs from the New Hebrides around 59cm.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 06:46 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I HAVE SEEN SOMETHING SIMULAR ATTRIBUTED TO TONGA IF IT IS LARGER THAN YOU EXPECT IT TO BE PERHAPS THAT IS WHERE ITS FROM. THE ONES I HAVE SEEN WERE LARGE FOR A THROWING CLUB AND DID HAVE THE PROTUSIAN IN THE CENTER OF THE HEAD (SOMETHING NOT SEEN ON ULA CLUBS PURELY OF FIJI ORIGIN.) I HAVE ONE BUT IT IS RECENT AND LIKELY MORE DECORATIVE IN FUNCTION AS IT WOULD TAKE A VERY LARGE HAND TO WIELD IT. I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR OBSERVATIONS WHEN YOU HAVE IT IN HAND.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Barry I do not think this is a"Kolo" club from Tonga. It is large heavy mace 1076g, only 70g less than the big Kanak club shown next to it. Looking at the finish, a shade darker at present, than the first picture after a light application of olive oil to feed the wood. I feel certian that is it either Solomon Island or what I favour the most the New Hebrides. I must add very pleased with it.
Attached Images

Old 26th October 2011, 12:14 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THE BETTER PICTURES SHOW HOW NICE IT REALLY IS AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD FEEL GOOD IN THE HAND. THE WORKMANSHIP AND WOOD USED DOSEN'T STRIKE ME AS TONGAN EITHER ,YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT AS TO ITS ORIGINS.
THE OTHER CLUB IS ONE TO MAKE YOUR MOUTH WATER I HAVE SEEN A FEW BUT NEVER HAVE BEEN ABLE TO AQUIRE ONE. CONGRADULATIONS ON TWO TREASURES.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Atlantia

That is a mighty fine couple O sticks ya got there matey!

The pumpkin headed one actually reminds me of those oversized metal Chinese maces.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 09:10 AM   #6
colin henshaw

The club on the right is a genuine old piece from New Caledonia. However, the other one looks like a modern production - mixture of styles with visible knife and file marks.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Tim Simmons

I can see how one might form that view. All these which I think are New Hebrides origin, and many others I have display work with some metal tools. This is not unexpected in the latter half of the 19th century. Many forms of commerce were active like the sandle wood trade. I cannot believe any native turning their nose up at the offer of a file, rasp or saw, after all to obtain a tower musket {snider carbine latter} usually meant three years service at a sugar plantation in AUS. Your musket might then have to be handed to your chief, also you need powder and shot all obtained by trade. I do not think these are earlier than the turn of 19th - 20th century.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 29th October 2011 at 03:36 PM.