Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th January 2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default "The Arms of Greece" by Dr. Robert Elgood

With great anticipation many of us have awaiting the arrival of this fantastic new work by Robert Elgood, and just received mine today. Magnificent!!!
I had no idea this would be such a huge volume, and its format and the illustrations beautifully done. As always, I have always loved the books by Elgood as they are treasure chests of footnotes and obscure details....I often simply browse through them and it is truly a joy in finding precious notes that suddenly throw light on some long standing project that has come to a halt in direction.

While I must admit that my knowledge of Ottoman arms, let alone Greek, is almost embarassingly cursory, and I do not feel qualified to offer any precise criticism on the work. However, knowing Dr. Elgood and the detail he seeks to present in his work, I know that I can be assured of remedying that status with this reference.

A few words I would offer to those who will undoubtedly step forward to pronounce negative comments or criticisms; I have been acquainted with Dr. Elgood for a good number of years and have known of his efforts to put this work together in this time. I know how tenaciously he works at finding the material and references, as well as trying to confirm and support the details he presents, and know personally of his efforts to find as much precision and accuracy as possible.

It seems that often when one is seeking information in this research, there are altogether too many cases where those with expertise or important key information are not particularly forthcoming in sharing thier knowledge. It does seem that after a work is published, many of these individuals will gladly step out of the shadows to present information in rebuttal. As I have been told by some authors I have known, this is of course to be expected in varying degree. There is a broad difference between derisive criticism and that which is constructive, which acknowledges the positive content of the work, along with helpful notes on that which might be better presented.

With that having been said, I very much look forward to learning more on these intruguing and very esoteric weapons, and many hours enjoying perusing through this wonderful volume!!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote