Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th May 2005, 04:29 PM   #1
vinny

Smile Meet my new Keris

Hello

I think this is a Keris Yogyakarta, although I am just going by the clothes. I guess there is a possibility the Keris came from somewhere else, and is dressed in Yogyakarta clothes. Thanks everyone for all your help identifying the Pamor. After a quick look at Dominique Buttin’s Malay Edged Weapons site, I agree the Keris has Dapur Brojol.

I think this Keris is a “good” Keris, may be even a bit special. At first glance, it seems a little crude. The surface is a little rough and almost like raw metal ore! (perhaps the Empu suggesting meteoric origins?). The Keris is heavy, chunky, and feels very substantial, especially compare with my Keris Surakarta (which I may show you later), which has a delicate feel about it. It looks like it may have been slightly over-etched, but I like this overall effect.

The Pamor has crystalline structure, which sparkles, from all angles, glinting like little diamonds in the blade. As you rotate the Pamor creates a hologram effect and the pattern changes in the light. Looks like 3 types of iron, as there is black iron, grey iron and very bright iron and the twinkling parts.

I have taken some photos which you can the Pamor looks different from various angles, and on the close up of the straight part of the blade, you can clearly see layers in the Pamor which are twinkling, although they just appear white on the photo, believe me, the blade really does twinkle). You can see this most in what I think is the last photo.

The Mendak appears to be excellent quality, very intricate with tiny details, the wood also seems very nice quality too, as does the Pendok.

This Keris feels old, the clothes are obviously not new, and the blade looks, feels and smells old - I could just make out the smell of scented oil. I just gave the blade a quick bath in some lime juice, rinsed for a few minutes in water to prevent further etching and oiled with beautifully scented minyak sendana.

Any comment greatly received, especially corrections to my opinion, but please be kind to my Keris and each other!
Attached Images

vinny is offline   Reply With Quote