Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th April 2005, 02:44 AM   #1
Radu Transylvanicus

Default A mysterious Transylvanian sword : a Sino-Japanese influence possible ?

A Transylvanian mystery sword : a Sino-Japanese influence possible ?

Years and years ago when I lived Europe, I received as a gift an outstanding catalogue of arms and armour from a fancy German museum , the “Staatliche Kunstammlungen Dresden”.
Less years after, when lecturing more profound, I fell upon the most striking (to me...) weapon in the book :
A sword made in 1674 Transylvania, exactly dated and marked with the name of the armorer as well (not the owner but the maker) Thomas Kapustran with the lingvistically unchallenging inscription in Latin to be more precise: “ THO. KAPUSINO TRANSYLVAN FECIT 1674 “.
A gorgeous, encrusted piece with rows of amethyst gems flanked by the golden plate with inscription and a guard enameled with floral arabesques on a turquoise blue background.
All that is obviously nothing that cannot normally take place in 1674 Transylvania when making a sword but the fact THAT IS SO OBVIOUSLY LIKE A JAPANESE SWORD IN SHAPE is what throws me off, is it quiet striking to anyone that?
I have not seen the sword in reality but even the German catalogue mentions the “samurai look alikelesness” as the first words in its title and description are: “ Sabel mit Scheide in Form japanischer Samuraischwerter”.

All I have is a picture reproduced from the book and the two close ups of same photo of the guard and the handle.
Length: 91 cm Blade: 77 cm Weight: 1350 grams Scabbard: 340 g
Thomas Kapustran was a fairly known Transylvanian armourer and jeweler with a atelier in the city of Klausenburg (known today as Cluj Napoca, Romania)
DEAR LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN, LET THE BRAINSTORM BEGIN !
Oher related notes:
Timeline: at the times of making this sword the ruler of Transylvania was Michael Apafi (1661-1690) appointed by Turks as vassal prince (but still independent), a man that in order to preserve the independence was direct allied and partner of Ottoman commander Ali Pascha and the famous French "King Sun” Louis XIV, he was also mingling with Polish court and taking sides against Habsburg Austria.
Image reference and bibliography: Historisches Museum, Staatliche Kunstsammlungen by Johannes Schobel - page 16 and photo # 21
-
(see I am really trying to get better at this, Wolviex and Jim, go ahead and laugh at me...)
Attached Images

Last edited by Radu Transylvanicus; 29th April 2005 at 10:15 AM.
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote