Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th October 2008, 01:43 AM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default An antique Hebrew piece ... not weapon

This is what happens when you go to the antiques fair and there are no weapons to buy, but still you have to release your consumist instincts.
This is (to me) a fine silver work. I came home and searched the Net, to learn that this is called a Yad (יד), a silver pointer used to follow the words of the Tora, once you are not supposed to touch its parchment with your fingers.This example has hallmarks from Moscow and assay by some Viktor Savinkov in 1878.
I wonder if the stones are rubis; also would love to know the meaning of the fishes in the star of David, as well as the meaning of the grape ... not to speak of the lion on the top.
I didn't yet find the silversmith listed; his initials are either ДП or a АП ... i can't figure out whether the first letter is a Dey or a Ah.
I also wonder if this is not a replica, faking the antique rare item .
I know this is not a weapon ... but where else should i go ? .There are guys here that know a lot about silver smithing, as also Hebrew culture.
Who knows i will be contemplated with some coments .
Thanks
Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote