Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th November 2007, 12:09 PM   #1
ganjawulung

Default Inscriptions on Keris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiai Carita
I am certain that I have read somewhere, that the first inscriptions of keris mention it as KRES, and experts who analysed the prasasti were convinced that kres means keris. I notice your certainty in judging the knowledge of the experts who examined the paticular prasasti that I think was mentioned in Harsrinuksma's ensiklopedi. I can't say that they were not certain that the word kres in the prasasti was refering to an object we would now recognize as a keris. In fact, I believe their opinion, that kres is refering to keris..
Mas Bram,

The word "kres" in old inscription was quoted -- not only by Bambang Harsrinuksmo in his Keris Ensiklopedi (2004) -- but also by Haryono Guritno in his recent book "Keris Jawa, Antara Mistik dan Nalar" (2006), and Ensiklopedi Kebudayaan Jawa (2005) by Dr Purwadi M Hum. According to the three gentlemen, "kres" was mentioned in Prasasti (Inscription) Karang Tengah which dated 748 Saka or 842 AD (Anno Domini).

The inscription of Karang Tengah, according to the three gentlemen, mentioned several kinds of "sesaji" (offerings) to clarify that Poh (name of area) was a free-tax area. And the sesaji were "kres, wangkiul, tewek punukan, wesi penghatap. ("Kres" was interpreted as kris, "wangkiul" sort of spear, "tewek punukan" kind of spear with to tips or kind of dwisula, and "wesi penghatap" not interpreted.

In his "Keris Jawa" book, Mr Haryono Guritno even wrote:
Kris (not "kres") was written in Prasasti (Inscription) Rukam which dated from 829 Saka or 907 AD. This inscription, according to Mr Guritno, even mention a kind of "categorization" of tools which was made from iron. Iron in modern Javanese is "wesi". And probable "wsi" in older term.

The quotation of that inscription of Rukam, according to Mr Guritno as follows:
... wsi-wsi prakara, wadung, rimwas, patuk-patuk, lukai, tampilan, linggis, tatah, wangkiul, kris, gulumi, kurumbahgi, pamajba, kampi, dom... (It translated as follows: ... all kind of needs which made of iron as ax, rimwas ax, adze, sickle, tampilan (?), crowbar, chisel, plow, kris, spear, knife, jack plane, grass cutter, needle...)

Mr Guritno also mentioned some inscriptions which could be used as research on keris, as prasasti Humanding (797 Saka or 875 AD), Jurungan (798 Saka or 876 AD), Haliwangbang (798 Saka or 876 AD), Taji (823 Saka or 901 AD), Poh (827 Saka or 905 AD), Rukam (829 Saka or 907 AD), and Prasasti Sanggaran (850 Saka or 928 AD).

Study on Early Java's history -- according to Zoetmoelder (1985) -- began with date of 25th of March 804, thanks to the finding of Prasasti Sukabumi (Sukabumi Inscription) that wrote: "In the year of 726 Saka year, in the month of Saitra, on the 11th day 'paro terang' (midday?), on the eve of Haryang or 2nd day of the week which consists of six days, "Wage" or the 4th day in a week which consists of five days, "Saniscara" or the 7th day of the week which consists of seven days... (Zoetmoelder, 1985:3)

Oh, I am so sorry, Gentlemen...

This is just the beginning of another annoying and unuseful thread...

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote