Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th February 2005, 08:29 PM   #1
Mick

Default Need information on this item

Gentlemen

Here is a piece that I picked up almost forty years ago which I have not been able to identify.

I am not even sure that the item is an ensemble and is not made up of separate pieces. The blade was eroded on the lower edge from about the 11 inch mark on the ruler and I told the man who was doing the patination not to touch it as I wanted the original shape of the blade to be seen. Of course, he didn’t do what I wanted and shaped that blade so that it could be sharpened which he proceeded to do. If you project the curve of the lower edge from its origin to the eleven inch mark forward you will get a good idea of the original shape.

The original ferrule (or salute if you will) was a crappy made up piece similar to the one that exists now which is in gold (which I commissioned). The detail work on the ivory cutting is well done, but not matching between the top of the sheath and the grip. Both designs are different which is one of the reasons that it may be a made up item. I am also not sure that this blade was meant to go into this sheath although there are no signs of recutting the mouth of the sheath to accept the blade which fits well. The sheath also showed that it was prepared for a Balinese backing plate which I also commissioned and had installed.

The pattern is pamor applied over a kern of steel which shows along the top edge and might be reminiscent of old east java work.

All and all it shows that a lot of money and effort went into the ensemble both before I got it and after, but I still don’t have any idea of its origin.
Attached Images

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote