Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th January 2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default The Knife, Sacrifice and Meaning

In the light of the new Mel Gibson film, which I hope to get round to seeing, and more recent threads. I thought this title might be worth exploring. Members may have much more active understanding of such practises. I am interested in the knives used. The taking of another life has great meaning and yet many of the knives just seem to be a tool. As we know this is not always the case, take the elaborate flint knives used in the Middle Americas or the Ram Doa {if that is the correct spelling} on the Indian subcontinent. We all have different resources and references. Is head taking a form of sacrifice, not just an act of warfare or one and the same? I feel sure we could have the making of a classic thread.
I will start with this cropped picture from "Soul Of Africa, Magical Rites and Traditions" an inexpensive but fascinating book with some hair raising photography. In this picture the knife looks very ordinary but that does not mean it is not special? This child in Benin is protected from spiritual harm which could manifest itself as illness such as smallpox, in a white chalk circle. He is also sitting on an upturned ceramic "healing" pot. As the blood pours over the child evil and harm is drained away with the blood. So here goes.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote