Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th November 2006, 02:32 AM   #1
vogan

Default First post from new member...

Hello,
I sort of fell into Keris collecting several months ago. Browsing a well known auction site, I came across a Keris listing with a description that seemed at the time (and still does in retrospect), to have been written by a collector who cared about the history and aesthetics of the weapon. Mine was the only bid and I won the item for a modest sum. It arrived with a follow up email from the seller cautioning this novice not to slather the blade with WD-40, but to pick up some mineral oil, and in the meantime, I was referred to Frey’s small primer as a readily available resource to learn more about my new acquisition. The seller closed with a curious admonition not to “run amok” with my collecting enthusiasm. I suspect he spoke from experience, as I now understand, what I did not fully comprehend at the time, what he meant by that caution!

While I don’t possess the in-depth knowledge to posit the specific sort of question which would really draw upon the deep reservoirs of knowledge available at this site, and I don’t want to be seen as rehashing the obvious, but to a person whose acquaintance with the Keris is but several months old, the following tidbit nags at me, and I would appreciate a response from the veterans.

In a lot of collecting areas, the rule of thumb seems to be that restoration is best left to the experts. Having spent some time collecting coins, I know there are few things worse than “whizzing,” “dipping” or otherwise scrubbing away the effects of time. While looking at Keris listings on the internet, I see a lot of references to “old blade / new dress.” In some fields that would be unthinkable. In the collecting of books- about which I know a smidgen, I know how greatly one would depreciate a first edition of Dicken’s Nicholas Nickleby in the original 20 monthly periodical parts by ripping off the covers, tearing out the period advertisements, and binding the individual periodical sections into one “nice, newly dressed” leather volume. You’d have shunted the paper bound periodicals into a fancy new leather “dress,” but you’d have lost 85% of the value in so doing. But with the Keris, it seems to me- and I am speculating from an unlearned vantage point- that there is a cultural imperative to honor the blade by replacing the fittings when worn and/or- enhancing them when circumstances permit. Which leads me to ask, on a Keris which looks to me to be a genuine, if modest, artifact, should I hesitate before taking a bit of extra fine steel wool to a handle that looks a bit dull, with an eye to smoothing and refining the finish, and applying a touch of stain to restore depth and sheen? I really dislike dull, water-spotted, chipped and/or otherwise blemished wood. Particularly when the remedy seems as close at hand as the hardware store. However, I am open to the admonition not to touch it. The metal sheaths I’d prefer to leave untouched, finding the toning, as with coins, adds interest and color. Do experienced collectors swap out mendaks, for instance, if another comes up at auction that “just looks better“? If they have a Balinese Keris with a plain wood handle and a spectacular gold plated Bayu studded with semi-precious gems comes their way- does the plain Jane handle come off and go in a drawer? Or does one leave well enough alone when in possession of a Keris, the parts of which look tolerably harmonious or “right,” pretty much mating up in terms of wear, perceived age, and the Fashion appropriate to a particular period and locale? And as to the blades- the Keris I have acquired thus far- I intend to keep their blades well-protected from the depredations of time- with “Singer” oil, mineral oil, and a bit of sandalwood/ cananga scent, that said- does pamor diminish over time, despite periodic care? And given that there are no Keris cleaning ceremonies in the U.S that I have heard about, and given that I may not feel comfortable (or in a position to afford), shipping my beloved blades to Indonesia for a cleaning, am I doomed to watch the silvery patterns slowly fade to black over the next couple decades? And finally, having spent a rainy afternoon reading through that long post from 2001 regarding what constitutes a good Keris part two, I should like to thank , in no particular order: Vandoo, John, Rick, DAHenkel, Jan, Tom Anson, Wolfgang, Battara, Lee Jones, ruel, Adni Aljunied, and in particular, Empu Kumis, Naga Sasra and Wong Desa, - for a fascinating read, which I hope will be preserved for future readers and students of this forum.
vogan is offline   Reply With Quote