Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd February 2022, 11:13 AM   #1
milandro

Default My new Palembang kris

I have purchased this kris which I believe is a Palengban keris.

I think this kris has some age and I plan to have it washed in warangan by the person whom I trust with this treatment. Looking at the blade there are some signs of pamor but they are not so clear that one can say what it is at this stage (and perhaps even later). I will be posting, later on, after the treatment some pictures.

De Ukiran appears to be what many may call a Durga hilt ( I have read on this forum of the diverse interpretations about this type of hilt). It has some damage at the base but it must have happened a long time ago.

I was thinking about replacing the hilt with a suitable replacement (any suggestion whether to do it or not). They are not easy to come by in the Netherlands.

Looking at the “ Seluth” (if I may call it so, I don’t know) I don’t know if it was always with this kris or not.

One question is ( and I know it is a difficult one to answer) about the “ stones” , this certainly appears to be a rather humble seluth (or whatever this form is called) but the “ stones” are unusually looking “ real” compared to other examples of “ stones” on de mendaks that I have.

Now this may be glass or quartz but I am not an expert , how would one tell if they are real stones or (dare I say) a low grade diamond? I understand this may be only wishful thinking!

Please tell me your opinions on this, bear in mind that I am just a beginner in the kris world and I am still just trying to find my way around it.
Attached Images

milandro is offline   Reply With Quote