Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th October 2013, 06:35 PM   #1
JamesKelly

Default Another Dahl

The dealer called this an "Indo-Persian dahl circa 1750-1850" Any ideas whether more Indian, or more Persian?
It is 444 mm dia (17-1/2"), 0.80mm (0.0315") thick. Where the rim is riveted on it has a double thickness of 2.36mm (0.093"). All measurements taken in inches.
I had thought about rubbing it with a lemon, or whatever one uses to bring out pattern to find out if it were wootz. But when I examine closely I see some very, very fine scratches like it might have had thin gold applied to it. Using a great deal of imagination I might think I see a gold tint to a few stripes on that tiger in the middle. Or, maybe I drank too much cough syrup. Were all that koftgari still present I suspect I could not have afforded this interesting addition to my walls.
The second picture shows a fight involving an individual with goat horns, ears and beard. I suppose that represents someone of whom the shield maker had a low opinion?
Then there is one with maybe a king, nicely attended by a lady on each side.
And a man riding an elephant.
Do any of these images - like the guy with horns - have a particular ethnic significance?
Attached Images

JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote