Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th April 2013, 02:29 AM   #1
KuKulzA28

Default Making an Aputu

A boutou or aputu or pootoo is what a Guiana Amerindian block-shaped or rectangular bludgeon is often known as. We've had one thread on them on this EAA Forums I think... It was used by Makushi, Caribs, Kali'na (Carib group), Lokono/Arawaks, etc. I have seen them referred to as macana once, though I thought macana was the "taino" word for a sword-club... like a maquahuitl, or the dagger-like clubs that used to be found in the islands and Guyana (according the Walter Roth). If I'm not mistaken, the Spaniards took macana as a loan-word and applied the term to heavy cudgels... ? Well, the Guyanese Amerindians I've met recognize the aputu but it's not something that is commonly used or made anymore from what I gathered. Machetes (they call cutlass) replace stone axes and warclubs, shotguns are gradually replacing bow and arrow, and logging and mining sometimes replacing traditional subsistence...

Well, from the few posts on here about the aputu, and some conversations with Guyanese folks got me itching to make one. I know faithful reproduction may not be the primary interest of this forum (antiques mostly), but maybe as I make this bludgeon, you guys can give suggestions, input, etc. I want to make it as traditional looking as possible.

I'm handy with a laraw/machete and I've carved knife handles, machete handles, and bow staves... but this'll be the second club I ever made, and the first was a very crude one. So, hopefully my handiness and patience will help see this project through though I lack the expertise and experience...

I'm using the pictures from the American Museum of Natural History database AND the National Museum of the American Indian as reference. I am making it about 16 inches tall as was described by John Stedman in his story about his time in Dutch Guiana.

So I got myself a piece of cocobolo. I started by making a guide and tracing the aputu shape on the block of wood. Now, step two is carefully hacking material off of the front and back faces of the bludgeon... though my hand is tired, that was the easy part. I'll have to smooth that out more, then for the side-faces, carefully cut, chisel, and file/rasp away the material... that will take some time. After that I'll work the waist a little to make the handle feel right, and then I I'll wrap some cotton around it, and see how it feels.

Hopefully, will have updates tomorrow or the day after
After this, maybe I'll make a kayapo style bat... then a yanomami warclub... then maybe others.
Attached Images

Last edited by KuKulzA28; 26th April 2013 at 02:43 AM.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote