Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th September 2005, 11:30 PM   #1
kai

Exclamation Electrolytic rust removal - please add your experiences!

I snipped this question from a thread (on another topic):
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT
Could you describe the process of electrolytic rust removal or direct me to a source of information for same? I would really like to try out the method.
Hi Rob,

It's really not complicated and you can adapt this method to your specific needs. A practicable introduction for home use can be found at http://www.htpaa.org.au/article-electro.php and you can google for loads of additional info.

I've found it not necessary to be too finicky with the degreasing step (just wash with soap) - you can always go for a second electrolysis if there happen to be persisting rust spots (discard the electrolysis solution after use if there's oil floating at the surface). As of now I have used this method only for fairly easy cleaning jobs and it worked out fine. So, not much else to add from yours truly.

However, I have acquired a few blades which really need preservation yet I have postponed finishing them due to complications like metal inlays (silver as well as brass) or problematic disassembly. Thus, I'd love to hear others' experiences, especially in more difficult cases!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote