Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th November 2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Martin Lubojacky

Default Heavy old sword from Kano

Allow me to come back to my very first thread in this forum - to http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6376

That time I found in Kano heavy sword with the pommel which is typical for the Tebu daggers and swords. Now, 3 and half years later, I found nearly identical sword, again in Kano - No. 1 on the picture below. Total length is 74.5 cms. Blade is again of lenticular profile, very heavy, width 6.4 cms, max. thickness 6.5 mm (in the middle) - and again - if you fillip it, it nicely sounds, like a bell.

In the former thread we tended to Tebu swords. But Tebu swords, which could even be much longer than this sword, have usually been much slimmer and lighter. I know that so called "Tebu type" daggers are common and they can be found nearly anywhere in Sahara or Sahel nowadays, even on the Mediterranean south coast, I know there are varieties - e.g. some of them have (or had) pommels with circumferential "T" hem (see picture of soldier on the cover of the book). Nevertheless, since I did not see this specific "heavy and hefty" type otherwere, I started to ask about its origin in Nigeria. After some time it was told me that it was (allegedly) "former and original Fulani sword from the beginning of 19th century", which was (allegedly) used as a weapon during Fulani Jihad (when they defeated Hausa kingdoms) pararelly with other types of weapons or swords, and that, later, it was (among Fulanis) driven out by Takouba type of sword.... - It may be, that I asked so a long time, that I earned "fairy tale" to be satisfied.

And, last but not least, when I keep this sword in my hand - I feel simmilarity with Roman gladius. It is known about me that I have andless phantasy, but - yet, the shape is simmilar and I think even the weight could be....(and the third Roman line of defence against Garamants went through Sahara.....)

But let me step back on the Earth: I made comparision photo with some other swords - No. 2 and 3 were brought from Maroua and recent finds - No. 4 should be from Adamawa, Local Government Gonbi, Kilba people, and sabre like (No. 5) is allegedly Fali. (but I think all this short swords - maybe except No. 2 - would not have any chance in battle against No. 1)
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf SKMBT_C36011110109470[1].pdf (411.7 KB, 781 views)
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote