Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th October 2011, 11:56 PM   #20
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Actually we do need to focus on Germany which is where most of the trade blades were from. England has never really done much in exporting blades except for later in the 19th century to colonial regions. Solingen, on the Wupper River is strategically located for its ore. Sweden was noted for cheaper iron exported much later in the 19th century and unsure of why Germany would have brought that in.
It has never been entirely clear about Hungarian blades, and actually it seems many of these were actually from Solingen or Styria, though there were a few makers, certainly insufficient for export. It does seem that in Arabia the 'Magyar' blades were much favored, but via Syria . These were sabre blades, not broadswords as in most Omani kattara. The larger part of the curved sabre blades came in the 19th century with Caucasian and other European imports.

I think the kattara was far from landlocked as far as the new form. These are well known in Zanzibar as well as well into Africa;s trade networks. It is tempting to associate the cylindrical guard Manding sabres of Mali as well as thed Maasai seme' of Kenya, which may have some degree of influence via Muscat merchants. The 'old' form seems to have remained in place in Omans interior regions contemporary with the new forms on the coast.

The markings phenomenon to me seems very much in line with the blade makers in Sudan where 'Kasallawi' makers produced kaskaras from the 1960s to present. The copied markings are similar but usually distinguishable from old ones by the blade context.

The Wilkinson blades were indeed produced for Abyssinia in the latter 19th century and most notably 1930s. Germany also produced blades for this market. Many of these blades ended up in Yemen where they were remounted in San'a.

We are focused on commercial and trade aspects, nothing to do with religion, so lets keep it that way OK .
Hey Jim,

You are correct, the "Magyar" blades were mainly sabers. They can be told apart from other european blades due to their decoration.

I could have used a better description to why I considered the Kattara a landlocked type. What I ment is that while it did spread into Zanzibar (was Omani territory anyways) it did not spread in Arabia, which its people favoured the shamshir oriented Badawi style. Keep in mind that Omani's lived in as far as Kuwait for God knows how far in time but the sword style was never adopted. The Omani Khanjar though was adopted quickly as a sign of prestige :-)

I need to start hunting for heirloom pictures... For example, a friend of mine who's from Omani origin has a Khanjar of super quality, think its made of gold . it belonged to his late grandfather. Almost all families here have a heirloom here and there...
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote