Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th April 2011, 09:35 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Very Interesting Kriss...But Where From??

As some of you know, I LOVE cross cultural examples of weapons, what some might call anomalies. This is surely one.

This kriss/keris has clear influences of both Moro and Malay styles. The sword is 25.5in. overall with a heavy, thick pamor blade of 19in. The blade is held in place by a classic baca-baca style "stirrup". The hilt is heavily influenced by Moro types with a carved ivory cockatoo pommel decorated in three panels of floral motifs, with a fiber wrapped haft set with carved ivory rings and even an ivory ferrule.

This is clearly a status piece, even with a battle worthy blade. Every element of it is quite delicately and elegantly made. Perhaps a presentation piece or a gift?

While I cannot be 100% sure of its origins, my take on it is that it is a late 19th, or early 20th century Malay...or even possibly Indonesian take, or "imitation", of a Moro style kriss. That is, not Moro made, or used, but strictly a Moro style imitated.

The scabbard is thin and elegant, and beautifully patinated.

The pics cannot begin to do justice to the lovely honey toned patina on all the ivory.

I would love more input on this oddity.
Attached Images

CharlesS is online now   Reply With Quote