Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th February 2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Talking Another Civil War Knife Sold On Ebay

Well, I just won this "ANTIQUE OLD CIVIL WAR WESTERN BATTLE KNIFE ULTRA RARE" on ebay.
I has always amazed me how the Philippines seemed to be involved in suppling arms for the American Civil War. When I first found this item I contacted the seller and tried to explain to them that this was not from the American Civil War or for that matter from the U.S. at all, but as usual I was ignored. I decided to go ahead and place a bid on it anyway and hope for the best and as luck would have it when the auction ended I was very pleased to find that I had won. The knife looks to me to be of late 1890's to early 20th century Katipunan era. Most likely from Luzon and is very well made with a Carabao horn grip that still has most of the twisted brass wire still intact. It comes with what looks to be the original leather sheath with nice tooling, though it is showing its age. The overall length of the piece is 14 inches with a 9-1/2 inch blade. Because the piece looks to be made more for stabbing than for cutting would this be called a dagger or just a knife? The pictures below are from the auction. Any comments on this would be very welcome.

Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 25th February 2011 at 04:04 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote