Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th October 2010, 03:27 AM   #1
Dmitry

Default Hartford Antique Arms Show

I've been attending this show [considered by many the second best in the US, after Baltimore] for the last 3 years.
A short and biased synopsis of last weekend's show -
Prices have definitely gone down, but so has the scope of the items offered. European pre-1800 edged weapons of quality were few and far in between. I did see two good English-style 17th c. rapiers that I wouldn't have minded having in my collection, but the prices were out of my reach. Also, a wonderful silver-hilted small-sword with a porcelain grip [perhaps from Strasbourg], which, too, was priced very high.
A note on the importance of getting out there, and having a look and feel of things for the sake of one's experience [and pocketbook] - observing the items on offer from a known American dealer, specializing in 16th-18th c. edged weapons, showed a stark difference between the small photos on his website to what the pieces looked like en vivo - some with artificial patina, in some cases reassembled, and in others - married.

As far as the Islamic weapons are concerned, there appeared to be a good variety, but this is not my area of collecting. Ethnographic weapons were also present in good numbers, but again, this is a terra incognita for me.
European pre-1800 firearms were present in some variety, and ranged from mediocre to superb.
I ended up not buying any weapons, but bought three books, one of which was a rare title, and a particularly important purchase for me -
Lionello Boccia - L'ARMERIA DEL MUSEO CIVICO MEDIEVALE DI BOLOGNA.

As always, it was good fun to walk around, handle things, and talk with a few knowledgeable colleagues.

Forgot to add - a humbling experience was seeing someone pay a dealer that I know $5500 for a German Mauser butcher bayonet ca.1900, just because of the regimental abbreviation, which indicated that it was used by a German Colonial unit which took part in the Boxer Rebellion. A bayonet, like any other butcher, which usually go for, perhaps, $200-300...
Bayonet collectors are a bizarre group of people. This goes beyond collecting...

Last edited by Dmitry; 11th October 2010 at 05:28 AM.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote