Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st March 2006, 03:17 AM   #1
Emanuel

Default About a Khodme

Hello, I've had this simple khodme for a while now and I've been thinking a lot about it lately. I have some questions , not least of which is whether it is a functional knife or a tourist piece.
First of all it is 29.5cm long, with a 17.5cm blade.
The scabbard is wooden and covered in red/tanned leather.

Two things are very weird about it; the guard seems to be an unnatural addition, and the blade seems to have been re-worked at the base/ricasso. It starts off 1mm thick at the base, thickens to 5mm for a good part of its length and finally tapers to a fine point. The metal is solid, it seems functional, but I can't understand the thinness at the base, where the blade has been widened/hammered. There are signs of glue at the guard, and the hilt has some play to it. The underside of the guard shows a slit for the blade/tang that is wider than the hilt and only 1m thick, supporting the reworked blade hypothesis. Such knives have been discussed many times before, but they didn't show these problems. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Manolo
Attached Images

Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote