Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th December 2011, 05:38 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Default Thankyou Santa!! Omani silver and Jambiya

Picked these up today. a nice selection of Omani Silver Jewellery and Jambiya accoutriments. None modern, as all came out of Oman in the early 1970s.
Also a nice Hadraumauti Jambiya came with the lot, decorated with silver Indian Rupees. Nothing cleaned up yet and I will expand on individual items later.
Just thought you would like to see.
Regards Stuart
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Picked these up today. a nice selection of Omani Silver Jewellery and Jambiya accoutriments. None modern, as all came out of Oman in the early 1970s.
Also a nice Hadraumauti Jambiya came with the lot, decorated with silver Indian Rupees. Nothing cleaned up yet and I will expand on individual items later.
Just thought you would like to see.
Regards Stuart
Salaams Khanjar 1~ Nice mixed group including 2 copper ginger pots(normally tinned inside) often made in Nizwa. The heart shaped hair ornament keeps the girls long hair tidy pinned to the mid back of her dress. The danglers are specific to the Baatina Coast as they represent Indo/Omani influence in Omani Jewelery through trade etc. The big necklace has a nice "hirz" lucky charm box(often empty sometimes with a verse inside) as a pendant with moon shaped danglers representing hand of Fatima janglers and is worn on a thick rope to spread the load. The odd looking shovel shaped dangler is a boys "dinar mal walad" ~ The Girls wear the round one ~ and inside the big necklace is a hair hook... Omani Tribal Jewelery has a lot of adornments for the hair. The multi strand chain is multi purpose and I have seen it used as a long chain extending from the neck straight down the front as well as over the top of the head supporting ear rings clusters on each end dangling near the ears...Its formal and correct position is hooked into the hair on each side of the head with the chain hanging under the chin. Theres a small mangash there as well with iron spikes and tweezers mainly used for pulling Accacia thorns from the feet of the owner ! Stuff like this is getting hard to find so you have nice rare items across the whole collection ... Regards Ibrahiim Al Balooshi
Oh forgot to add the ring which looks like a pointer is in fact a prayer ring worn on the index finger of each hand and pointing up...as a symbolic gesture to God. There are in fact 6 rings on each hand as a full set each one different for each finger and thumb and two worn on the middle finger.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 07:19 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Khanjar 1~ Nice mixed group including 2 copper ginger pots(normally tinned inside) often made in Nizwa. The heart shaped hair ornament keeps the girls long hair tidy pinned to the mid back of her dress. The danglers are specific to the Baatina Coast as they represent Indo/Omani influence in Omani Jewelery through trade etc. The big necklace has a nice "hirz" lucky charm box(often empty sometimes with a verse inside) as a pendant with moon shaped danglers representing hand of Fatima janglers and is worn on a thick rope to spread the load. The odd looking shovel shaped dangler is a boys "dinar mal walad" ~ The Girls wear the round one ~ and inside the big necklace is a hair hook... Omani Tribal Jewelery has a lot of adornments for the hair. The multi strand chain is multi purpose and I have seen it used as a long chain extending from the neck straight down the front as well as over the top of the head supporting ear rings clusters on each end dangling near the ears...Its formal and correct position is hooked into the hair on each side of the head with the chain hanging under the chin. Theres a small mangash there as well with iron spikes and tweezers mainly used for pulling Accacia thorns from the feet of the owner ! Stuff like this is getting hard to find so you have nice rare items across the whole collection ... Regards Ibrahiim Al Balooshi
Oh forgot to add the ring which looks like a pointer is in fact a prayer ring worn on the index finger of each hand and pointing up...as a symbolic gesture to God. There are in fact 6 rings on each hand as a full set each one different for each finger and thumb and two worn on the middle finger.
The other two rings in the pic are thumb rings I think, though not as wide as usual, so could be for one of the other fingers.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
The other two rings in the pic are thumb rings I think, though not as wide as usual, so could be for one of the other fingers.
Salaams... Thumbrings are huge wide things about a half inch wide... I will find out where these are from as they are unusual perhaps from Salalah ... Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 24th December 2011, 08:25 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams... Thumbrings are huge wide things about a half inch wide... I will find out where these are from as they are unusual perhaps from Salalah ... Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I agree. The ones I have are about 3/16" wide and have a "studded" design on them. The ginger pots you mention are indeed copper with a silvered/tinned wash finish, inside AND outside.
Regards Stu
Old 24th December 2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Atlantia

Nice one Stu!

I picked up a bag of silver a while back and have been trying to ID it all! I hadn't thought of the possibility of Omani until I saw the ring pointer in your lot!

Interesting Jambiya BTW! What's the blade like?

Edit: Adding pics of my 'job lot'. Shown with a mounted Yemeni Silver coin that I bought separately: Mutawakilite kingdom of Yemen, Imadi Riyal, 1344 (accession date AH1322), Imam Yahya (1322-1367-1904-1948).

Haven't got a clue what the large multi part piece is. All the main parts are stamped with a square mark on the reverse, but it's to indistinct to make out any detail.
Attached Images

Last edited by Atlantia; 24th December 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 11:17 AM   #7
A.alnakkas

Nice Stu!

Put up more pictures of the Jambiya :-)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Nice Stu!

Put up more pictures of the Jambiya :-)
Definately! Looks like an interesting example. I like the big silver band with coins!!
Old 24th December 2011, 07:42 PM   #9
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Nice one Stu!

I picked up a bag of silver a while back and have been trying to ID it all! I hadn't thought of the possibility of Omani until I saw the ring pointer in your lot!

Interesting Jambiya BTW! What's the blade like?

Edit: Adding pics of my 'job lot'. Shown with a mounted Yemeni Silver coin that I bought separately: Mutawakilite kingdom of Yemen, Imadi Riyal, 1344 (accession date AH1322), Imam Yahya (1322-1367-1904-1948).

Haven't got a clue what the large multi part piece is. All the main parts are stamped with a square mark on the reverse, but it's to indistinct to make out any detail.
Hi Gene,
Yes the pointed ring is a First finger ring as described by Ibrahiim. There are different rings for all 4 fingers, and also a thumb ring.
I will post pics of the Jambiya in the next few days----also some individual pics of the various items. Although not weapons, they are certainly Ethnic and I'm sure will be of interest. The blade of the Jambiya is a bit pitted but not too bad really. A truely interesting piece IMHO.
Merry Xmas to the Christians amongst us, but other religions of course are entitled to gifts, especially if they are sharp and pointy .
Regards Stu
P.S. IF that large piece you show has hooks at each end, it is likely either a chest or head dress. the hooks at each end would attach to either clothing , or another band of some sort.
Stu
Old 24th December 2011, 07:45 PM   #10
Atlantia

Quote:
Hi Gene,
Yes the pointed ring is a First finger ring as described by Ibrahiim. There are different rings for all 4 fingers, and also a thumb ring.
I will post pics of the Jambiya in the next few days----also some individual pics of the various items. Although not weapons, they are certainly Ethnic and I'm sure will be of interest. The blade of the Jambiya is a bit pitted but not too bad really. A truely interesting piece IMHO.
Merry Xmas to the Christians amongst us, but other religions of course are entitled to gifts, especially if they are sharp and pointy .
Its not just Christians who celebrate Xmas! Don't forget us Atheists!
Old 24th December 2011, 11:43 PM   #11
Atlantia

Quote:

P.S. IF that large piece you show has hooks at each end, it is likely either a chest or head dress. the hooks at each end would attach to either clothing , or another band of some sort.
Stu
It does,
hooks at each end and the centre.
Is it Arabian then?
Old 25th December 2011, 04:59 AM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
It does,
Is it Arabian then?

Salaams Atlantia~ It looks like it is a silver and other metals mix(copper)...Probably Yemeni. The reason why they did this was not only because it was less expensive but because it formed a harder metal so it lasted well. Mixed metals were common in Yemen though often after 1948 since at that time many Yemeni Jewish peoples moved to Israel...including a large percentage of their silver craftsmen and today only a few are left. The quality took a hammering from that point..perhaps it has recovered somewhat by now.
The hooks operate like the other Arabian hooks in that they hook into the hair or into a head strap so that the entire necklace hangs under the chin framing the ladys face. As does the multi chain at Stuarts picture. Your stuff looks Yemeni but the ring is Omani and is the same as you say. Worn on each index finger with the point towards the finger nail direction... A prayer ring.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Afternote~ I like the two pin shaped objects which are either for applying kohl to the eyes or used as buttons to secure the dress at the neck...
The big necklace is interesting though in the hidden meaning stakes you can chase this around all day... It reflects the use of the figure 3... 3 main discs and 3 strands ending in 3 rectangles (these represent the hand of Fatima daughter of the Prophet.) There are 3 strands at the ends of prayer beads in Arabia and it is said they prevent evil from climbing up.

Rings ~ We always have a big friendly arguement when we go to the remote villages over which ring is worn on which finger. I can only repeat what study has shown which is~ Six On each hand ~

1. thumb ring on the thumb
2. prayer ring on the index finger
3. Two rings on the middle finger one of which is a tower ring with a cage on it. It looks like a mini bird cage.
4. The next finger has a ring.
5. The pinkie finger has its own pinkie finger ring ...
If I get time I will illustrate the entire load.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 25th December 2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 25th December 2011, 06:28 AM   #13
kahnjar1

Quote:
It does,
Is it Arabian then?
I would think so---yes. Ibrahiim I see has answered to this also and gives list of rings. Perhaps not Omani except the ring, but maybe Yemeni.
Either way all very interesting pieces. Nice accompanyment for the blades IMHO
Old 26th December 2011, 12:11 AM   #14
Atlantia

Excellent, thank you both!
Old 26th December 2011, 01:40 AM   #15
kahnjar1

Smile Jambiya---at last!!

Hi all. As promised the Jambiya, which I am fairly sure is Hadhramauti. The coins are silver 1/4 Rupee India and the latest is dated 1918. Most Jambiya I have seen of this type have red stones in place of the coins. This Jambiya was bought out of Oman in the early 1970s together with the Jewellery, which follows this in a post of its own. I believe however that the Jambiya is older-----maybe around the 1940s or 1950s. The hilt I am fairly sure is Rhino.
The blade of the jambiya is quite stained and I hope to improve on it's looks, but for the moment have just applied rustkiller.
Comments very welcome.
Regards Stu
Attached Images

Old 26th December 2011, 01:45 AM   #16
Gavin Nugent

It is an interesting ethnographic lot Stu. It is nice to see the coins used and I guess this supports what Steve was nice enough to share, being Indian Craftsmen in the regions making these knives.

Nice that Ibrahiim shared his wealth of knowledge about the accruements too.

The horn unfortunately is not Rhino.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 02:06 AM   #17
kahnjar1

Default ....and now the Jewellery piece by piece

I realise that these are not strictly weapons, but they came with other weaponry related items, so hope the Mods will let this run.

1. Ginger Pots--copper with either silver or tin wash. Most likely from Nizwa.
2. Heart shaped silver decoration for holding hair tidy at the back. Is attached to back of dress.
3.Shovel shaped hanger with red stone. Boys head dress "Dinar mal walad"
4.Hair decoration. Hooks on to other head decoration.
5.Six strand chin chain (most are 5 strand). Hooks at each end to head dress.
6.Silver Tweezer and pick set. Often worn as an accessory to the Jambiya/Khanjar.
7. Necklace with Hirz or Quran Box, probably from Nizwa. As can be seen this opens at one end, and YES there is a text inside. Very brittle so I will not attempt to unfold it.
8.Omani Rings. The pointed one is for the first finger, the other two yet to be identified.
9.Talahiq primer flask in silver and gold. Believed to be from Salalah.

Hope you enjoy, as these are now very rare items outside Oman.
Attached Images

Old 26th December 2011, 08:01 AM   #18
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
I realise that these are not strictly weapons, but they came with other weaponry related items, so hope the Mods will let this run.

1. Ginger Pots--copper with either silver or tin wash. Most likely from Nizwa.
2. Heart shaped silver decoration for holding hair tidy at the back. Is attached to back of dress.
3.Shovel shaped hanger with red stone. Boys head dress "Dinar mal walad"
4.Hair decoration. Hooks on to other head decoration.
5.Six strand chin chain (most are 5 strand). Hooks at each end to head dress.
6.Silver Tweezer and pick set. Often worn as an accessory to the Jambiya/Khanjar.
7. Necklace with Hirz or Quran Box, probably from Nizwa. As can be seen this opens at one end, and YES there is a text inside. Very brittle so I will not attempt to unfold it.
8.Omani Rings. The pointed one is for the first finger, the other two yet to be identified.
9.Talahiq primer flask in silver and gold. Believed to be from Salalah.

Hope you enjoy, as these are now very rare items outside Oman.
Salaams kahnjar1 ~ More detail ~

Ref your 1. The ginger jars are tinned not silvered. Tinning was achieved by dunking or drenching (often the work of Gypsies "Zutut" in days gone by) They are often coated both inside and out. Tin coating prevented verdigris poisoning and was done on spoons, utensils, plates, pots, coffee pots ... any utility objects of brass or copper used in food/drink preparation or presentation.

Ref Your 2. Heart Shaped Hair Decoration ~These danglers as bell forms are particular to the Oman Coast and are an Indian influence.

Ref your 3. Boys forehead decoration. The single bead is warding off the evil eye.

Ref Your 4. Hair decoration in the west has reduced down the milenia to the occasional hair bangle or decorated pins/clips whereas in Omani Tribal Jewelery there are many items; danglers, pins, corded weave-ins and enhancements frozen in time and therefor still worn. There is also an important linkup to ear rings often huge and worn in bunches supported by silver headchains as well as the underchin items.

Ref your 5. Underchin Omani Hair Hook and chain Jewelery; Richardson and Dore note another type close to this style with wool strands instead of silver from the Wahiba sands.

Ref your 6. The Tweezers for thorns and spikes for leather work. Worn with the Khanjar or on the gunbelt ~ also worn in the Sharqiyah in the head dress chained to the hagal(camel rope) around the head dress.

Ref your 7. They dont come much nicer than this!! ... Particularly nice is the face of the box decoration and equally the two first long silver ferrules at the left and right said to go back in time more than 1000 years. You can see the smaller spikey silver ferrules making up the bulk of the main necklace and these are important since the jewellery is wedding dowry and the spikes will eventually wear down slowly with age as maturity grows in the marriage...Thats the theory !

Ref your 8. Now I see the rings in closeup I can see what they are. These, in fact, follow the style of a type of bangle called Nijimaat mal Bedu... Stars of the bedouin. In the case of the little bumps being rather pointed they switch to being Showqaat or thorn tree bangles (they look like punk jewellery) but in this case we have rings in the likeness to the former. Since the thumb and index finger are booked out to one specific ring each that leaves a choice of either the middle finger or the next one but not the pinkie finger which has its own ring. I think you get the flavour of the friendly arguements that we have as on which finger they should be worn... I will shoot a picture of rings with the Omani names and showing which fingers etc.

Ref your 9. Talahiq. The Omani powder flask. One of at least 3 designs ; the others being gazelle horn and a wooden version.. Yours is used all over Oman not only Salalah ~ this looks like a typical Northern Omani design . Sometimes seen with a leather strap(that I see the remnants of on yours) and originally worn on the back of the neck hanging down ~ Purely practical for charging through the bushes.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 26th December 2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:05 AM   #19
Atlantia

Hi Stu,

These items are indeed weapons related by comparison of their ornamentation with that of Jambiya, Shafra, Dharia and Khanjar.

Thankyou for adding such clear close-ups as they show the many elements of decoration that are familiar from the hilts and scabbards of that area.
The lines of tiny balls, pyramids of four balls, lines of raised disks etc.
For those who don't have examples, I've added a couple of pics, although you will have many more varied examples than I.
All the pieces that you show here seem of excellent quality and good age. The powder flask is particularly fine, as is the scroll box.
This would make a very worthy addition to the ornamentation comparison sticky thread if you have the time to put a little study together Stu!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Atlantia; 26th December 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:26 AM   #20
Atlantia

Your Jambiya is very interesting. I would be tempted to suggest a date of between the wars. The long curl on the scabbard is very distinctive as is the wide band on the scabbard with the inset rupees. A very interesting example. The blade appears to be quite thick and chunky which is good as hopefully the rust wont have left perforations.
Is it possible that the blade is also an Indian traded item, and the rupees allude to this?
Now that I can see the top of the hilt, I think the horn may be bovine/buffalo as it appears to have some delamination and no fibrous 'orange peel' effect on the end grain.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:34 AM   #21
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
It is an interesting ethnographic lot Stu. It is nice to see the coins used and I guess this supports what Steve was nice enough to share, being Indian Craftsmen in the regions making these knives.

Nice that Ibrahiim shared his wealth of knowledge about the accruements too.

The horn unfortunately is not Rhino.

Gav
LOL, I missed your post Gav!
That would certainly explain my feeling that the blade was Indian!
(note to self: read ALL previous posts!)
Old 26th December 2011, 11:09 PM   #22
kahnjar1

Salaams Ibrahiim.
Thank you for the detailed description of my pieces. Nice to get the correct local names for them.
Regards Stu
Old 27th December 2011, 02:32 PM   #23
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Salaams Ibrahiim.
Thank you for the detailed description of my pieces. Nice to get the correct local names for them.
Regards Stu

Salaams Khanjar1 ~ My first subject specialisation was always Omani Jewelery therefor I was a bit puzzled at the odd little finger ring with bumps... which I described as being related in design to the Nijimaat bu bedu stars of the bedouin bangle (or banjiri bu nijum) ... The reason of the puzzle?? I was looking in the wrong place for the wrong artefact... It is a ring from the southern region but its not a finger ring.

Its a toe ring !

I think we need a few arabic names for reference;
1. Toe rings are "Zikar" or "Mthani".
2. Thumb .."Jabirah".
3. Index "Shahid".
4. Middle finger Tower bird cage shaped. "Zar" plus another see below...
5. 3rd finger "Haisah" but round or hexagonal .
6. Little finger "Shadabiyah" comprise pyramids or ball stacks ...

* "Khatim bu fas"~ set with red glass often moon and stars engraved.
** "Khatim Murraba" ~ small/Big fig 5 geometry rings often part gold leaf.
*** "Khatim" ~ little rings with a coral or coloured glass or lapiz inset.

The last 3 can displace any of the other rings causing mild confusion and friendly banter whan discussing rings in the villages as it appears there is no set way to wear them except in the case of the thumb and index.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.