Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st December 2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default Indian Parrying Shield

Hello,
Another piece from my small Indian collection. Called a Maru, Madu or Singauta this shield I believe was used mainly by the Bhils of central India. The antelope horns on this particular one measure 25 inches overall with an 8 inch steel shield topped with a 2 1/4 inch arrowhead shaped steel spike. This one seems quite plain in comparison to others I have seen with metal spiked horns and brass/bronze bosses. I would be interested if anybody can put an approximate date on this piece.
Regards,
Norman
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 04:25 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you very much for posting this unusual item Norman! I've seen these only in Stone and the usual references, but never actual examples.
As you note, the Bhil's of Central India are listed as users of these horned parrying weapons, and this group apparantly extended in Gujerat and Rajasthan as well. They seem to have joined with Rajputs not only as hunting guides, but as warriors, all for thier superior knowledge of surrounding terrain and abilities in guerilla warfare.

One thing I find most interesting about the addition of these sharp horns of the sasin (antilopa cervicapra) or common antelope, is that the same application of these joined horns is used by Hindu mendicants and fakirs. They apparantly use the joined horns in lieu of traditional weapons as they are vowed against carrying actual weapons.

Most of the references I have seen discussing these varying forms of weapons date to about mid 19th century and of course somewhat later, so this example could very well be early to mid 19th century. The arrowhead spike seems to appear somewhat regularly, with one example having this feature suggested to be from Punjab, but regional attribution as always with Indian weapons is speculative at best. One reference even noted the form as a Gurkha weapon from Nepal (British Archaeological Association, 1848) though I was not able to retrieve an illustration.

Thanks again very much for sharing these very nice examples you have collected and giving us a chance to focus on them a bit to add to the references.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Montino Bourbon

Default The Madu was used...

Among other situations, in the middle of a battle to rescue a fellow combatant surrounded by enemies. The form of this weapon is excellent for close-in work in a crowded situation. The Maharattas, fierce warriors, were known for using this. Carried in the left or shield hand as a parrying and three-way attack weapon, the horns of the antelope are very strong, almost unbreakable, yet flexible enough to withstand a strong blow and not break. Often they were tipped with steel points of a triangular shape which could pierce armor. Here's another example, with the steel tips on the horns and no central spike. This picture is thanks to Artzi, whose collection is very much of a resource.
Attached Images

Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent example you have brought up Montino! and outstanding point on the Mahratta's. I agree that these with the smaller horns would be quite effective in the melee with dual purpose in defense and offense with the buckler. Some of the examples seem to have much longer horns, which would become somewhat awkward in such situations and probably counterproductive.
On this example of Artzi's (as you note, always one of the most outstanding resources!) the horn ends seem capped with lance points. As previously noted, it would difficult to confidently attribute these distinct weapons to a particular group, region or date, but most probably in the 'catch all ' of most weapons from India, the 19th century. To be more precise, usually having the weapon in hand is the best bet.

I am still intrigued by the use of the coupled horns by mendicants and fakirs, who were typically situated in crowded city streets. It would seem that these would have been effective as mentioned in situations that would likely result in melees or multiple person conflicts that might have involved these individuals. The animal horns were of course easily explained as items of nature rather than the traditional weapons forbidden to them, and became suddenly a 'weapon of opportunity' as required.

I'm hoping someone out there might show an example of the horns used without shield as characteristically used by these mendicants.

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Montino Bourbon

Default Fakir's horns

Here they are; they can be considered 'not a weapon' and thus fit into religious rules against carrying them, yet be very effective when needed, especially in a defensive role.
Attached Images

Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Impressive - never seen one with a spike before, many thanks!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote