Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th December 2007, 04:35 AM   #1
ariel

Default UK bans Japanese swords.

Modern " Sword of Zelda' and "Sword of the Elven King" are, apparently, harmless

Banning samurai swords Thu Dec 13, 10:30 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - The government said Wednesday it would ban the sale of samurai swords because the weapons had been used in a number of serious, high-profile attacks.

The Home Office said the swords would be added to the Offensive Weapons Order from April next year, meaning they could not be imported, sold or hired.

However collectors of genuine Japanese swords and those used by martial arts enthusiasts would be exempt from the ban.

"In the wrong hands, samurai swords are dangerous weapons," Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said.

"We recognize it is the cheap, easily available samurai swords which are being used in crime and not the genuine more expensive samurai swords which are of interest to collectors and martial arts enthusiasts."

The Association of Chief Police Officers said the swords were not a common weapon but they had been used in a number of significant incidents.

In 2000, Robert Ashman murdered a Liberal Democrat councilor at the offices of Cheltenham MP Nigel Jones, who was also seriously hurt in the attack.

A year earlier, Eden Strang seriously wounded 11 people when he went on the rampage with a samurai sword at a Roman Catholic Church near his home in Thornton Heath, south London.

(Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Tim Castle)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 04:38 AM   #2
fearn

Well, they join throwing stars in California on the "illegal--hunh???" list. I wonder how cheap is still legal, or how often you have to go to the dojo to be considered a martial artist...

I predict a rise in violent crimes perpetrated with claymores and rapiers, myself.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Rich

May the gods protect us from the idiot politicians who think any type
of weapon is dangerous. It's the stupid people who misuse them that
are dangerous, not the knife, sword, throwing star, etc. Of perhaps it's
just that politicians who are dangerous to our freedom. My question is:
who protects us from the politicians??

Rich S
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 04:52 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
I wonder how cheap is still legal, or how often you have to go to the dojo to be considered a martial artist...
And lord knows martial artists never commit crimes...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 05:04 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Thumbs down What a STUPID idea!!

At least in this country (New Zealand), sanity still prevails!!! If you are a POM you had better get used to no kitchen knives---they will be next!! This spanks of the reaction a few years ago re firearms in the UK.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 07:40 AM   #6
kronckew

those two instances are the only ones i've ever heard about. there are no hordes of unwashed barbarian ronin wandering our streets slicing peasants for the fun of it.

they banned guns a few years back, gun crime goes up about 50%
of course criminals don't obey the law, guns flood in from eastern europe, machine shops convert non-firing metal replica guns, or make new ones from scratch.

there have been a number of highly published shootings of teen agers recently, so the govt. had to do something. they've already banned guns; so they've banned samurai swords in order to appear to have 'done something'. this is a trial to see how much objection they get, they'll then have a precedent for the next ban.

they are setting us up for the next round. they've been talking about sharp pointy things and publishing studies by 'eminent' doctors (or is that imminent ) saying there is no need for a knife to have a point and all knives sold should have rounded points. it's not the law yet, but i see it coming. of course we all know knives and swords with rounded points are unable to cause damage didn't they ban pointy bolos in the philippines once? those square tipped bolos couldn't slice anyone then, i guess.

my dha is also 'safe' i guess

plastic (rounded tip of course) knives and forks are next, followed by making even them illegal. reminds me of the PC ZT principal in a US elementary school who hauled a five year old girl into his office and screamed and yelled at her for breaking the rule that scissors could not be brought into the school. the scissors were plastic (rounded points again) and had been handed out by the school for arts and crafts class. the girl was so scared she wee'd on the floor so the principal called the police and had her arrested for assault. great example to our youth.

they have not figured out that the tool is not the weapon, it's the mind behind it.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Tim Simmons

Default 2008 YEAR OF THE AXE

The axe man cometh. The sign of the axe . A ban on those nasty cheap swords, I wipeth the spears from mine eyes.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 06:49 PM   #8
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
they are setting us up for the next round. they've been talking about sharp pointy things and publishing studies by 'eminent' doctors (or is that imminent ) saying there is no need for a knife to have a point and all knives sold should have rounded points. it's not the law yet, but i see it coming. of course we all know knives and swords with rounded points are unable to cause damage didn't they ban pointy bolos in the philippines once? those square tipped bolos couldn't slice anyone then, i guess.

STOP PRESS;
MP's DECIDE SHARP POINTY THINGS ARE DANGEROUS ...AND DECIDE TO SET AN EXAMPLE ...BY REMODELLING THE HOUSE OF COMMONs.
An insider is quoted as saying "you never know, an airline passenger may jump from their plane ....and impale himself on the spire of Big Ben.
'Cotton wool ' lawns are being considered as well , in case, the proposed hapless passenger misses.......

An artist's impression of the modifications...
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:47 PM   #9
bladerunner11

Smile plastic cutlery next

it will be plastic cutlery for us all soon lol
bladerunner11 is offline   Reply With Quote