Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th December 2007, 07:55 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Cool Curious construction, fantasy

Looks like the agricultural sycthe blade may have seen some use. Cool bread or carving knife handle. All very creative with that copper disc. cheap too em hmm I need one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=002
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 11:22 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ahah!!! the true origins of the shotel!!! Ancient druids in Abyssinia !
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 11:42 PM   #3
fearn

Actually, there are thousands of druids worldwide, and there have been for centuries. The modern English druids started off as fraternal societies around the same time the Freemasons appeared, and for much the same reason. Some have stayed around as fraternal groups, even providing insurance, some have become pagan worshipers at Stonehenge, and some are both. Around 1900, the druids were largely in fraternal orders, and they used sickles as regalia. There's even a photo of Winston Churchill in one of those funny white robes.

So the bottom line is, yes, this is probably a genuine druid's sickle, and yes, it probably was cobbled together out of an old farmer's sickle and a carving knife handle, although it may have been purpose-built. While it perhaps isn't as classy as a freemason's sword or some such, it is likely a genuine piece of regalia from a fraternal order. For those who care about such things, I'd also speculate that those who made and used it were good, church-going Christians, too.

My 0.02 cents,

F

Last edited by fearn; 11th December 2007 at 12:05 AM.
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 12:04 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Fearn for the most interesting historical information on the Druids. My frivolous comment was meant only as that, and as a comparitive jest with thoughts of discussions on shotels recently. I hope I didnt offend anyone with Druid associations, and if so, I heartily apologize.

Actually the item is quite attractive, though admittedly thought the description misperceived. I guess I'm getting too used to the sometimes bizarre auction descriptions often posted here.

With your notes I decided to look more seriously at what you described and found that the sickle (though typically stated to be gold), was indeed used to harvest mistletoe and herbs in Druid ritual. It is apparantly termed a 'boline' and I did discover mention of the fraternal order you have described having organized in 1717 with many distinguished members.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 12:12 AM   #5
fearn

Not a problem, Jim. We're all used to weirdness on eBay.

Every once in a while, it's genuine weirdness.

So far as I know, the term "boline" seems to show up more in Wicca and ritual magic than druidry. There everyone knows the story about the golden sickle (I think it was a "falx" in Pliny) and thinks of druids together with their sickles, as in the Druid Getafix in The Adventures of Asterix. It's reportedly possible to harvest mistletoe with a golden sickle (low carat gold), but I've never hard the money to try that particular experiment.

Given the mix of modern pagans and old fraternal orders, it's likely that we're going to see more and more of these ritual items showing up, along with the Keris and African knives that we normally put in this categoy. While I'm not an expert, I suspect that an older item with a decent provenance would be fairly valuable.
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 04:29 PM   #6
kronckew

had a couple of seax* made by a guy who also does bolines,
his 'golden sickles' are actually made of bronze, which i'd guess is more likely for the early pre-roman druids.
the blades are a bit smaller than the ebay one.

you can get them in the traditional rowan wood hafts.
bronze athames also

bronze does not poison the magic, the fey folke are poisoned by steel and iron.
pentagrams a common motif: (esmerelda dagger thread?)

steel, stainless, and pattern welded steel blades also available as well.

* my seax, just because i like them
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote