Default Pallash for comments

Hi everyone!
Instead of an introduction
Attached Images

Perkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 03:44 AM   #2
Andrew

Welcome to the forum, Adam.

Great display, nice swords. Not my area, but there are some here that will love talking with you! (Wolviex, Radu, Jim, etc. you out there?)
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 08:54 AM   #3
wolviex

Smile Welcome

Welcome, Witaj!

Tell us something about you. You're from Ukraine or from Poland??. Anyway it's good to see someone from the Old Continent on this forum. If you're living in California you may be interested to meet our Transylvanian friend Radu who live there too.

Hussar's armour on your Avatar!

Actually I'm cut off literature while flu attacked me, but tell us more about it. It looks extra long on this photo, or it's just an illusion ?

And the hilt is hussar's one, looks like 2nd half of the 18th century to me for the firts view, but you probably know everything about this, aren't you

Last edited by wolviex; 4th March 2005 at 09:08 AM.
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 03:41 PM   #4
Perkun

Czesc WOLVIEX,
I am form Poland. I collect swords ever since I sold my record turntable to buy my first one when I was 11.
Over time I switched to strictly Polish bayonets and sabers.
As to the pallash it is an unusual one, the blade alone is 103 cm long, 4 cm wide amd 1 cm thick. Huge and heavy.
Markings are 2 haf moons facing each other on one side of ricasso, letter "T" with a dot above it in a shield on the other side. Markings suggest a 17th century Solingen (?) maker.
I posted it because I am puzzled by this one. I understand such pallashes were in short use in the 17th century but were quickly replaced bt koncerz (estoc).
Is this one one of those early ones?
I had to join this forum as the dialogues are first rate and I don't mind learning.

Hope you get better soon! I have more misterious pieces for you!
Old 4th March 2005, 05:02 PM   #5
wolviex

Arrow

Maybe I was to quick judging about 2nd half of the 18th century. But it doesn't look early 17th century to me either!

The hilt is closed, so it's not earlier than end of 17th century. But it's reminding me those hilts used in Poland with estocs. Anyway without book samples I can't remember for now how exactly those hilts looked like (Radu were are you!), but this one is with extra long quillon - next puzzle or it's just me ??

It would be great to see this markings on the blade - photo or drawing. But the blade doesn't looke like from 17th century for me - but I can be wrong !!, so I won't judge anything for now. 103 cm is not so long for koncerz and is quite long for pallash. Very interesting weapon!!

Let's wait what will others memebers write, and I'll sniff around this pallash next week, when I hope to get better.

Pozdrowienia!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 05:58 PM   #6
Perkun

I am leaning to the late 17th century. I absolutely agree that the handle looks like those on Polish estocs, but I think much bulkier and thicker. Hard to compare never having real estoc example in my hands.
From what I can tell the blade looks hand forged, the markings are heavily stamped. I will add photos later today.
One other curious thing, the tip of the blade is rounded...
I have seen only one other example of such pallash, no fuller to the blade on that one as far as I remember. It was advertised as a "justice sword" and was adorned with engravings, looking much richer than my plain example.