Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th September 2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Cool Taiaha, finally!!!

For me it has been the month of long things.

I am please to say I finally found and secured a Taiaha I am happy to keep in my collections.
It has been a long time coming with a very long search to balance price and quality but patience is rewarding (sometimes).
If I was being fussy , the only improvment I would want on one would be the inlay to the eye sockets and feathers to the top, though for me the size at 172cms long and with such a dark earthly patina, I'm stoked!!
Images from the auction.

Enjoy

Gav
Attached Images

Last edited by freebooter; 30th September 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

What can one say ! Old too. You wicked wicked man to taunt us so. Just great.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 04:07 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

CONGRADULATIONS ON A VERY NICE OLD ONE. THESE ARE A PLEASURE TO HANDLE AND FEEL GOOD AND BALANCE WELL IN HAND. JUST BE CAREFUL AND DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY AS YOU MIGHT PUT A DING IN SOMETHING ACCIDENTALLY IT TOOK ME MANY YEARS BEFORE I COULD AQUIRE ONE FOR MY COLLECTION. THERE MAY HAVE BEEN MORE IN AUSTRALIA AS ITS A LOT NEARER THE SOURCE THAN OKLAHOMA.

YOUR EXAMPLE DOES APPEAR TO HAVE HAD PUA SHELL INLAY IN THE EYES AND IT IS NOT DIFFICULT TO FIND ROUNDS OF PUA SHELL FOR SALE SO SHOULD BE FAIRLY EASY TO REPLACE IF YOU WANT. BUT IT IS JUST GREAT AS IS. I HAVE SEEN A FEW CLUBS WHERE RED SEALING WAX WAS USED AROUND THE EYES BUT THAT IS MOSTLY SEEN ON THE HEI TIKI.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 07:00 PM   #4
fearn

Congratulations, that's an excellent piece. Are you going to learn to do the haka with it

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 01:52 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

What a nice piece. Congratulations! Yes, I am in the restoration camp.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 02:31 AM   #6
Ron Anderson

Gav

Very nice. That is a keeper, for sure.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Chaps

Thanks Chaps,

There was a phrase used some time back that caused a lot of questions and I can use it now, "I'm chuffed"
I don't think I'll have it with me before I go to Bali at the end of the month but when in hand I'll share some of the finer detail.
I'm currently organising a custom elevated stand for it with a manufacturer and it will no doubt take pride and place amongst the other keepers.
Plenty of room in the back yard for a quick twirl too...just need to consider the dogs and kids though...despite either never letting me rest I do want to keep them around
I'll make some cardboard blanks for the eyes and see if I can have a Hawaiian carver commision me some...then I'll need to look at a non-permanent non-intrusive or destructive methods of sitting them in the sockets...but as you note Vandoo, it does just look fine the way it is...
What I am really hoping for it legible faint remains of script left on the two collector/museum tags seen in the images...fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote