Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th September 2005, 10:00 PM   #1
erlikhan

Default To take antique arm out of USA

Hi. I need a fast but also certain information please. My brother will fly here from USA and I request him to bring me my yataghan which he has bought and been keeping for me for some months. If he brings it in his luggage , could he face any problem because of taking 1- an antique item, 2- a long edged weapon out of USA and/or to take into plane even if not in his hand bag?

regards
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 10:15 PM   #2
MABAGANI

I'd recommend shipping it with insurance via ups, fedex etc., if its a piece you don't want to lose, it could get stolen through the airport baggage, besides the hassle of dealing with customs. If he gets to the airport and finds out he can't bring it through he's also faced with the problem of leaving it with someone there before he gets on the plane.
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 10:15 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

1. No

2. Must be packed in checked luggage (cargo not carry on) this can be risky bags are x-rayed and baggage handlers are not saints .

3. If the destination country is a CITES signatory and there are any prohibited materials incorporated in the weapon you will need a CITES certificate from the US stating that the item is antique for Customs at his destination (at the least If I understand the rules correctly) .

Best to have your relative check with US customs and his air carrier .

Finally I agree ; shipping would be best .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 10:40 PM   #4
erlikhan

I see. thank you very much. Sure,were not the replies I'd prefer to hear , as airport custom would be easier for me to handle than postal customs in the case shipment is caught and held by Turkish postal customs (Most probably they would let it as it is not a military item but a native etnoghraphic item) . Once, a friend of me brought 3 old bayonets with him to me by plane, and he said no problem occured in US check in. But as far as I understand from your comments, it is just a matter of luck and I must be ready to take risk and to face the worst too,right?
Old 21st September 2005, 12:56 AM   #5
Mark

I expect that you will have more trouble getting it into Turkey than getting it out of the US. If it has an ivory handle, then Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) will apply, as Rick said. However, at least in the US, you are permitted to carry items as part of your personal belongings without having to get a permit. In that sense it may be better for him to carry it.

That's about all that I can contribute. What other people have said, I agree with, too.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2005, 02:38 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

I CAN'T ADD MUCH TO WHAT HAS BEEN SAID EXCEPT TO MAKE SURE YOUR ITEM IS VERY WELL PACKED IF EITHER SHIPPING OR TAKING IN A CHECKED BAG.
I ALWAYS CARRY MY STUFF IN A HARD SIDED SUITCASE WITH GOOD PACKING INSIDE AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS IN THE USA BUT THINGS HAVE CHANGED A LOT SINCE 9-11.
THE WORST PROBLEM I HAVE HAD WAS ARRIVING IN TAIWAN WITH A SUITCASE FULL OF SWORDS AS THEY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN THE COUNTRY SO HAVE TO BE LEFT AT THE AIRPORT. WHEN YOU LEAVE YOU CAN'T GET THEM TO WHERE YOU CAN PACK THEM IN YOUR CHECK IN LUGGAGE AND THEY WON'T LET YOU CARRY THEM ON EITHER. I OVERCAME THE PROBLEM BY ASKING THE FLIGHT CREW TO CARRY THEM INTO THE COCKPIT WITH THEM AND GIVE THEM TO ME WHEN WE ARRIVED SO I LUCKED OUT THAT TIME. IT IS DIFFICULT TO KNOW WHAT THE POLICYS ARE IN OTHER COUNTRYS AND IT OFTEN VARIES FROM ONE AIRPORT TO ANOTHER AND EVEN FROM ONE CUSTOMS AGENT TO ANOTHER. SO IT COMES DOWN TO THE OLD DIRTY HARRY SAYING "DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?" GOOD LUCK WHATEVER YOU DECIDE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2005, 06:38 AM   #7
erlikhan

I see. thank you. it is ivory handled but it would not be any problem in Turkey. and I have friends in airport customs here too, but not in postal customs.
And a last question. it has an invoice. is it possible and if it is so,easy to insure the bag in flight checkin so that the loss will be covered if it is stolen on the way?