Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th January 2005, 06:31 PM   #1
Boswego

Default Can Anyone Help ID this Keris ?

As a complete novice in the field of swords-I wondered if anyone might have an idea as to where this Keris is from and what it was used for.Thanks Very Much-Boswego[Keris1.jpg][Keris2.jpg][Keris3.jpg][Keris4.jpg]

P.S.-I'm having problems w/ my antiquated windows98 and javascript re attachments-i hope the pics shop up.
Boswego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 06:38 PM   #2
Boswego

Default Sorry (no pics) re Keris

Sorry,dont seem to be able to attach the Keris pics-when i hit the 'manage attachments' bar i get the old 'the page cannot be displayed' message ('detect network settings' prompt doesnt work either).
Boswego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 11:45 PM   #3
Andrew

Boswego, try hosting them on www.photobucket.com or you can email them to me at awinston@aol.com and I'll post them.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2005, 02:35 PM   #4
Sang Keris

.. i'm courious...
Sang Keris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2005, 09:38 PM   #5
Andrew

Cool

Here you go, Boswego. This is a Moro Kris from the Phillipines. I know very, very little about these, but others here should be able to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boswego
Here's all I can say about this piece- 25" total length,20 1/2" blade length,5 1/4" hilt-handle length.The blade does'nt appear to be damascened,or so heavily polished all striations were obliterated...

I also wanted to know if someone out there might have a suitable scabbard for the Keris.
Attached Images

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2005, 10:00 PM   #6
Federico

Maranao pre-19th century used for fighting...well...Maranao if we believe the trunk theory, has the nice Maranao bulge. Pre-19th century well again back to Bob's book, separate gangya would in the very least indicate pre 1930 (one date to feature I am dead sure about), possibly with considerable age if we consider wider spaced luks to be an older phenomena. Oh well...somedays I figure what do we really know about these things. There are alot of theories, but where is the proof. Its nice to move forward, and have lots to say about weaponry, but why is it accurate? Based on what? Nice kris by the way. I like the perabot features, the double fullering, and the overall dapur of the blade (well to steal terms from the keris guys). Very graceful piece, looks like it has a story to tell.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote