Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th October 2006, 12:07 AM   #1
katana

Default My First Kuba Sword......comments please

Hi, just purchased this Kuba Ikul ( Ikulbapyaang),

Measuring 15” (38cm)in length and 4 ½” (11cms)across the widest part of the blade, described as late 19th Century Kuba War Knife. The blade is also described as slightly pitted with the odd dent on the blade edge. It has a hardwood decorated handle and comes in a hide pouch measuring 10” x 8”, and is decorated with Cowrie shells and miniature carved masks.

According to my research...cowrie shells were used as money (by various tribes including the Kuba). There are three small carved 'masks' which seem similar (in style) to other full sized ceremonial/religious masks. The picture is not clear enough to decide whether each 'mask' is different. If they are .....it could be because......

Three royal mask types exist: the tailored Mwaash aMbooy, representing Woot and the king; the wooden face
mask, Ngady Mwaash aMbooy, the incestuous sister-wife of Woot; and the wooden helmet mask, Bwoom ,the
commoner. These characters appear in a variety of contexts including public ceremonies, rites involving the king,
and initiations. Although their dances are generally solo, together the three royal masks reenact Kuba myths of
origin (Cornet 1982:254,256; Roy 1979:170).

An extract from..
http://www.randafricanart.com/kuba_Ngady_aMwaash.html

Have I got myself a good piece........comments please gentlemen...thankyou
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 02:14 AM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

First this is not a war sword the Kuba have a different longer and heavier sword that they use for war. This short sword of yours is known as ikul. Here is a link to the war sword of the Kuba. Your dagger is a typical example the nice thing is it comes with a scabbard.

Congrats

http://www.mambele.be/knife_detail.p...=0037&rowno=21
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 04:43 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

CONGRADULATIONS!! I CAN'T TELL MUCH ABOUT THE HANDLE ON YOUR EXAMPLE BUT THE MOST INTERESTING THING IS THAT IT HAS A SCABBARD. I HAVE 5 EXAMPLES OF THIS KNIFE ALL DIFFERENT AND NONE OF THEM HAS A SCABBARD. IN FACT I AM NOT SURE IF I HAD EVER SEEN ONE WITH A SCABBARD BEFORE AND I HAVE SEEN MANY EXAMPLES OVER THE YEARS.MANY OF THESE HAVE SMALL PICES OF PEWTER DRIVEN INTO THE HANDLES FORMING VARIOUS DESIGNS THEY ARE ALSO OFTEN SEEN IN THE BENNIN BRONZES IN THE HANDS OF WARRIORS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 06:48 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

Well done. I to have never seen one with a scabbard, or even in an old photograph. Lucky lucky
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 09:47 AM   #5
katana

Thankyou all.....I actually, was NOT going to bid on this piece because it HAD a SCABBARD......I have never seen a scabbard with this type of sword and assumed the 'marriage' was made to make the item more saleable.
However, the cowrie shells and the stylised 'masks' suggested 'Kuba' so I took the risk........glad I did
These are the only pics I have, when it arrives I will post better ones..
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 10:14 AM   #6
Mapico1

Unhappy kuba

Hi,
I don't want to be the one with the bad news all the time but I feel I have to react here.....
The "ikula"knives don't have a scabbard!!
This scabbard is from a tourist Lega knife!!
I saw this one on ebay to but it's not so good quality for a ikula.
There're thousands of those knives,they're the most common Kuba knives.
Sorry but very often I read here on the forum:great,super,congratz,etc.....for things of very low quality or even fake!! Most of the time I don't react to keep the dream alive but I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do on the long run....
Mapico1 is offline   Reply With Quote