Default Chinese fork weapon

Chinese fork weapon
Attached Images

fengmodao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 04:47 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY INTERESTING WEAPON, IN JAPAN THEY CALL IT A SAI AND THEY USUALLY HAVE A ROUND CENTRAL SPIKE NOT THREE SIDED LIKE YOUR EXAMPLE. THEY WERE USUALLY USED IN PAIRS AND WERE EFFECTIVE FOR PROTECTING AGAINST SWORDS AND COULD ALSO BE USED TO DISARM THE SWORDSMAN. THEY WERE USED BY THE POLICE IN EDO SOMETIMES TO DISARM AND CONTROL THE SAMURAI ALONG WITH THE HACHIWARA AND VARIOUS OTHER WEAPONS. WHAT IS THE HISTORY OF THE WEAPON IN CHINA ? AND HOW LONG IS YOUR EXAMPLE. THE REMAINS OF THE FACETED SHAPED POMMEL KNOB IS MOSTLY FOUND IN CHINESE DESIGN, A NICE EXAMPLE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 06:50 PM   #3
fearn

Hi Vandoo,

These weapons are common from (supposedly) India, through Indonesia (where they're called tjabang) up to Japan. They show the most diversity in form in Indonesia. Since they spread along the coast, they were probably carried by traders and sailors. I've seen Chinese, Indonesian, and Okinawan examples, and the Chinese examples often come from coastal provinces. Actually, I have a pair--modern, but real fun to play with.

Anyway, they're not great against swords, but they work pretty well against staves and other blunt weapons. The Okinawan police carried three of them, and supposedly you can hook three of them together to make a decent pair of handcuffs. The Edo police carried a jutte, which has a single hook, primarily as a symbol of authority, and they used it against peace-time samurai who didn't really know how to use their swords. During the Warring States period, Japanese cops worked in trios with pole weapons to subdue samurai, which tells you how dangerous they were. That's all from Donn Draeger's three-book series on Japanese martial arts.

My 0.02 cents,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 04:51 PM   #4
josh stout

What I like about this one is it appears to be an older and finer example than most Chinese pieces I have seen. In particular the guard is very graceful and has less of a "village weapon" look to it than most. Also it looks like there is visible folding on the guard.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Also it looks like there is visible folding on the guard.
Josh[/QUOTE]

Josh

I also think this is an old authentic piece but the guard is probably forged wrought iron which would explain the layering affect.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 03:51 PM   #6
josh stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
...guard is probably forged wrought iron which would explain the layering affect.

Lew
Thanks for the tip. I don't really understand how wrought iron makes striations like that, but I am happy to take your word on it. The rest would have to be steel though would it not?
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote