Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th September 2012, 02:33 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default Too Tiny?

Hey guys,

This is my first go on a Moro item. I always wanted one, but either was too broke or never had the balls to buy one, didnt want to screw up :P

But it seems that I may have screwed up. I bought this Gunong on ebay, it was a hastey purchase for little cash and I thought its about time. Was shocked when it arrived! it was so tiny my guess its some letter opener? such a shame if it is, the blade is made of nice steel.

The blade is 4.5 inches long, the full length is 6.5 inches.
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 03:06 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Nope...don't think it's a letter opener...
Some gunongs are, indeed a little on the small side, those yours does seem pretty small. Perhaps it was made for a woman or a child. Do the fittings seem to be silver? Is the pommel ivory? It almost looks a bit like clam shell, which would probably be rarer than ivory, but i can't tell from the photos.
Your blade looks like it isn't laminated, but i would give it a light etch with vinegar to be sure.
Bottom line, i would say that you did not screw up, unless you paid a great deal of money for this.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 03:11 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Some gunongs are, indeed a little on the small side, those yours does seem pretty small. Perhaps it was made for a woman or a child. Do the fittings seem to be silver? Is the pommel ivory? It almost looks a bit like clam shell, which would probably be rarer than ivory, but i can't tell from the photos.
Your blade looks like it isn't laminated, but i would give it a light etch with vinegar to be sure.
Bottom line, i would say that you did not screw up, unless you paid a great deal of money for this.
Hey David!

Sounds good I guess. Will give it an etch soon and see whats on the blade. I thought the pommel is bone, now its dark so will get some zooms on it tommorow!

Didnt pay much, compared to my usual field :P
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 03:48 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

It seems a bit too white for bone, but photos can be deceptive with colors sometimes.
Old 10th September 2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Perhaps the straight blade and small size saw it used with Betal nut?
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Other possibility: it is an early form. Not sure, but smaller forms with out lots of lamination were indicative of earlier forms.

Wish there was more information on these.

I agree though is was not a waste of money.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Andrew

Agree w/David--looks like the color of ivory to me.

Was/is betel chewing regularly practiced in the PIs?

Reminds me of the Thai/Burmese "priest knives", but that's really just based on size...
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 04:48 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Other possibility: it is an early form. Not sure, but smaller forms with out lots of lamination were indicative of earlier forms.
I think we all wish there was more info on these blades.
From the more bulbous pommel form it would seem it is not an "older" form. The metal work looks fairly nice, but i would still be interested in knowing if it is silver or some other white metal.
...and that would be a yes AFAIK Andrew....betel nut does indeed have a history of use in the Philippines.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Indianajones

Will give it my 'go'; not a bad buy would my humble opinion be. The pommel does look like ivory (think too thick mass to be bone) and so white because its 'bleached' by sun n age (and not being handled much). Am wondering what kind of ivory.

Blade may indeed be bit on the simple side, but one cant have it all on one piece, can we?! To my opinion not specifically an early piece as than they would not have used so much silver/metalwork on the sheath (the more early, the rarer metal/silver).
<for betelnut one rather need a more hacking sort of blade as these nuts are hard to crack. Dagger has little use with them>

All in all a nice honest little gunong with a ivory pommel. Sometimes small can also be a plus! Congratulations I would say!
Buy two more and you'l have a collection of them . . .
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
From the more bulbous pommel form it would seem it is not an "older" form.
I forgot about that - very good point. I agree that this is a big indication of being a circa 1930s piece.

Also the more I look at this the more I am inclined to agree that this may be clam shell.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote