Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2013, 07:14 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default An Interesting Dha Dagger With a Snake (Naga) Bolster

This large, likely Burmese, dha dagger is a very heavy example and is 19in. overall, with a thick, wide, heavy blade of 10.5in. The hilt is ivory and is rather plainly carved by Burmese or Thai standards, with a beast(possibly Hanoman) rather simply carved into the end of the pommel.

Far more effort has gone into the unique bolster/guard which a very detailed snake coiled around it in brass. The details of the snake's scales are remarkable, especially towards the tail, with great effort made to keep the size and continuity of the scales very consistent.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 07:27 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY INTERESTING DAGGER THE SNAKE REMINDS ME OF JAPANESE WORK I HAVE SEEN. PERHAPS A BIT OF CROSS POLLINATION BUT NOT NECESSARLY AS SNAKES ARE POPULAR IN ART AND LEGENDS WORLD WIDE. CONGRADULATIONS A NICE UNIQUE ONE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

An interesting speimen Charles.

Funny thing is I just bought a Brit Naval sabre circa 1805 and is has a cross guard made in this manner, being a snake or snakes wrapping around forming a figure "8"...now whilst they are not related, I do wonder if this is Brit related/inspired rather than native Naga?

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 10th April 2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: wrong date
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 07:54 PM   #4
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
An interesting speimen Charles.

Funny thing is I just bought a Brit Naval sabre circa 1905 and is has a cross guard made in this manner, being a snake or snakes wrapping around forming a figure "8"...now whilst they are not related, I do wonder if this is Brit related/inspired rather than native Naga?

Gav

This seems so atypical of Burmese and Thai bolsters I can certainly see how the Brit sword might impact Burmese artisans. I think that is a possibility along with the possibility of a wealthy man just wanting something unique.
As I have said before...if only these things could talk...but in this case maybe that's NOT such a good idea. I have no use for conversational snakes outside of The Jungle Book!
Old 10th April 2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

What an interesting piece (boy you've been busy)!

Do you think the naga/snake on this piece is talismanic?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 12:20 AM   #6
CharlesS

I am really not so sure about the snake being talismanic...were it Indonesian or Filipino I was lean toward "yes", but on Thai and Burmese pieces I am not aware of the use of snakes as much as talismanic reliefs...so here I lean towards "no", in favor of it being more of an artistic rendering on an otherwise big, but rather plain piece.
Old 11th April 2013, 01:24 AM   #7
Andrew

Fantastic, Charles. Thanks for sharing this unusual example.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Nathaniel

Charles, I forgot to clarify a point and was kindly reminded as such...the snake at the hilt is a not a Phaya Naga/ Naga in the sense of the mythical snake in Buddhism. This type of Naga would have more of a dragon head, horns and could vary from one, three or five heads, the scales would also be like the scales of a fish as well...very different
Attached Images

Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote