Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th December 2008, 08:50 PM   #1
Iliad

Default Mystery blade

O K guys, this time I make no claims about anything, because I don't know what this blade is! So put the whips away; my back is still bleeding from my last foray into the forum. I bought this blade for peanuts as a rusted wreck with no handle. I cleaned it up and had a handle put on it, to make it into a nasty knife, very very sharp. Note the sawteeth on the back edge and the neatly formed notch on the front edge down near the hilt.
Was it part of a polearm?
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Atlantia

Hi Brian,
Well I'll kick this one off then.
Firstly I like it.
I'm not sure what it is, but I always like that in a weapon!! Increases the fun of the investigation.
Whats the tang like on it? How about another picture with a sheet of paper next to it, and trace the blade then draw the tang on as close as you can remember so we can see it. Were there any marks on the tang?
Are there any marks on the blade?
Is the blade tempered or hardened in any way? Is it sharp?

My first though is that its home made or 'improvised' but as you say it does look a little chinese and might look nice mounted on a shaft.

The steel looks like its totally flat, which might suggest its been cut from an existing sheet and not shaped beyond the cutting of the profile.

But even hand made improvised weapons can be nice and have an interesting story to tell. Look at the amount of reused carving knives and the like that turn up! Or improvised trench/combat knives.

If nobody here has any strong feelings for it, might be worth reposting it in the Ethnographic section.

Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Iliad

Good Morning/Evening Atlantia
I shall attach pics of the mystery blade as it was when I got it, so you can see the tang for yourself. The only mark on the blade is that of 2 interlocked circles on each side of the raised bit on the back edge; you can just make them out in 2 of the first pics posted. I had wondered if they are marks of a vice used to hold the blade while shaping/sharpening. The blade was sharpish when I got it, but I have since improved on the sharpness; it is now a very dangerous weapon. I have no way of knowing if it is tempered or hardened, but it certainly proved much harder to sharpen than some other blades I have dealt with. Yes, it is flat steel.
Interesting thing about sharp weapons, whenever I show some of my swords, daggers etc to people and say "be careful, this is very sharp", the first thing they do is to touch the edge! A bit like a "wet paint" sign!
Brian
Attached Images

Old 29th December 2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Atlantia

Hi Brian,
Thats very interesting, a long tang but not one which would have slabs fixed to it through holes?

So presumably it would be fixed into a handle with resin/heat some kind of glue..

Hopefully others will join with opinions! It does look to have some age.

I'll have another think.

I can see why you are thinking its a member of the polearm-Dao family but I don't know jack aboout them so we will need the experts to help there.

Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 06:54 PM   #5
kisak

Odd proportions. The idea of it having started out as a pudao or some such struck me as well, possibly shortened down a bit as well? The original guard has a somewhat east-Asian feel too IMO. And while I don't really have any idea whatsoever how these polearms should be shaped, the "flatness" here makes me thing of ceremonial weapons and the like.
kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 06:35 AM   #6
Iliad

I'm glad to be able to provide the opportunity for research, also glad that somebody other than me is baffled.
I am pleased that Gavin hasn't seen this posting yet, he'll probably say that it was made in Spain in the 1970's!
Brian