Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st October 2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Shipping question about arrows from Belgium?

Ethnographic shipping question:

I bought some antique arrows and a bow (Papua New Guinea) from an eBay seller in Belgium. After several unanswered emails from me asking for tracking information (over a month-long period) he finally responded when I filed a PayPal dispute that I had not received the shipment.

Though his eBay advertised shipping price was about the same as similar arrows from Belgium, he told me that he now needed over FOUR times the advertised cost to ship them. From $75 to $300.

I suggested that he needed to send the arrows at the advertised amount or face a negative feedback strike, possibly a non-performing seller strike as well.

He just emailed me, stating that UPS Belgium (and DHL) has placed "arrows of any kind" on their "CAN NOT ENTER THE US" list, and that he can not ship at all. He wants to refund my money less $30 for "trying" to ship them.

I am asking if any of our Forum members in Europe, especially Belgium know about this? Are there and other carriers who would ship them?

The bow makes the package 180cm long and that seems to require a special carrier.

Thanks in advance.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Bill

It seems strange that you can ship spears and swords/daggers from Belgium but not arrows . You should contact DHL/UPS to confirm. As far as a $30 refund the seller should be responible for knowing what can and can't be shipped before hand and you should be entitled to a full refund.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Keep us posted Bill, this could be informative .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Atlantia

I may be wrong here, but as far as I know arrows are ok to ship to the US.
From the POV of entry. The USA is usually pretty relaxed about edged weapons in the post.
What I think is possibly the problem is the bow and the overall length. I assume its unstrung and in a thick tube? Sometimes they allow longer max length for tubes than packages.
Have you tried UPS and DHL' websites to see if they have FAQs that help?
I would think its going to be a problem to post anywhere because of the length, not just the US.

Whatever happens, he can't keep any of your money if he doesn't send it.
Its a difficult item to post and he needed to find out if he could post it before offering it, not after he's got your money.
I spent about three hours wrapping a huge parcel yesterday. Spent £10 just on padding to protect it, and then lost another £5 on the postage as well! Thats life, I didn't factor the cost correctly when I offered it for sale so I lost a little money.
Were I the seller of the bow, I'd be aghast if I really couldn't send it to you and I'd be offerring you a complete refund. In fact the one time I did slip up and couldn't complete a deal (long story) I refunded totally, plus the buyers costs (they'd bought a money order) and added 10% to the total for their inconvienience.
To tell a buyer you can't ship an item and they have to pay for the privilege of being let down is plain BS.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Bill M

UPS

I just called UPS International and here are their rules that have been in place for at least ten years according to the CSR.

INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENT RULES!

1. Weapons, particularly projectile weapons are on their proscribed list. Bows. Guns. Air-guns. No spears, swords, combat knives, martial arts weapons. Utility knives are ok. Tools are ok. Anything that was designed to kill, hurt or maim they do not want to ship.

2. Antiques worth over $100. If a loss or damage claim, you MUST have a previous-to-the-loss receipt from and "established gallery," or an appraisal. Emphasis on dated previous to the loss.. I asked, "What if I have good pictures and ask an expert to write a letter of value/appraisal? After the loss. He would be able to offer a very good opinion based on knowledge of similar objects."

Answer, "Entirely at our discretion."

3. Irreplaceable antiques - not covered.

I mentioned that I had received items marked "Art Object." He said that they sometimes open them, but the greater danger was from Customs.

That if they open a package marked "Art Object" and it turns out to be a sword, even an old fine one, Customs often decides "this is a sword" and you run the risk of delays, confiscation, complications depending on the country shipped from and to.

Though you may think your sword is an "art object" Customs applies what I call the "Duck Rule." "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck -- it is a duck" or sword.

The CSR was a real "can-do" guy. He suggested that I contact an archery supply company in Belgium and find out who they use to ship bows and arrows. I love helpful people like him!

Maybe Freddy will chime in here?

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 31st October 2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 31st October 2008, 05:55 PM   #6
Freddy

Arrow

I have just checked the site of the Belgian Post Office. They state that the maximum length (also tubes) they will ship, is 1m50. If your bow is longer, it is not possible to ship it in this way.
About other means of transport, I just don't know.
I think he tried to ship his parcel by using the Belgian Post. I looked it up and a shipment to the US by 'Kilopost International' (upto 5 kg) costs 26 Euro. That's about 30 $. Your seller probably got the package back.

The only problem is the length of the bow, I think. The seller has to choose another means of transport and this is probably much more expensive.

When I sell something, I always use the Belgian Post. I avoid selling items which are too big to send in this way. And if I do, it's 'pick up' only.

In my opinion, the seller should return the money to Bill. That's only fair.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation

I believe FEDEX has no compunctions about sharp and pointys; after all they shipped all our stuff to Macao and back .

One of my containers was opened by US Customs; full of swords, no problem .

Length might be an issue with FEDEX but we're talking what; five feet or so ?

EDIT

Just got off the phone w/FEDEX Intl .
No problems on your package size Bill !
Based on my description of a 10" dia tube 5' long that is .

It can be done .

Last edited by Rick; 31st October 2008 at 07:12 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 07:15 PM   #8
katana

Hi Bill,
Sorry to hear about your problem.
I checked with my usual courier firm, to see the approx. cost from the UK. I stated the package size as 200cms x 15cms x 15cms with a weight of 4kgs (8.8 lbs) quoted price approx. £50 (around 81 USD) 1-3 days delivery with £32 insurance ( I think its another £4 for insurance to the value of £250).

$300 (£185) .....what a rip off Ok there are packing fees involved but .......

and what a cheek, expecting you to pay for his 'efforts' ....not impressed. I have sometimes misquoted 'shipping fees', but always to my detriment....but I have never asked for more money to compensate. In fact if something sells at a good price I always 'upgrade' the postage service.

The seller should be able to find a more competitive quote, and if ethical...should send to you at no extra cost.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 10:24 PM   #9
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
I have just checked the site of the Belgian Post Office. They state that the maximum length (also tubes) they will ship, is 1m50. If your bow is longer, it is not possible to ship it in this way.
About other means of transport, I just don't know.
I think he tried to ship his parcel by using the Belgian Post. I looked it up and a shipment to the US by 'Kilopost International' (upto 5 kg) costs 26 Euro. That's about 30 $. Your seller probably got the package back.

The only problem is the length of the bow, I think. The seller has to choose another means of transport and this is probably much more expensive.

When I sell something, I always use the Belgian Post. I avoid selling items which are too big to send in this way. And if I do, it's 'pick up' only.

In my opinion, the seller should return the money to Bill. That's only fair.
Freddy, is 1m50 the same as 150cm? Seller did try to send it kilopost. Is there any other shipper who will take 180cm package?
Old 31st October 2008, 07:47 PM   #10
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Ethnographic shipping question:

I bought some antique arrows and a bow (Papua New Guinea) from an eBay seller in Belgium. After several unanswered emails from me asking for tracking information (over a month-long period) he finally responded when I filed a PayPal dispute that I had not received the shipment.

Though his eBay advertised shipping price was about the same as similar arrows from Belgium, he told me that he now needed over FOUR times the advertised cost to ship them. From $75 to $300.

I suggested that he needed to send the arrows at the advertised amount or face a negative feedback strike, possibly a non-performing seller strike as well.

He just emailed me, stating that UPS Belgium (and DHL) has placed "arrows of any kind" on their "CAN NOT ENTER THE US" list, and that he can not ship at all. He wants to refund my money less $30 for "trying" to ship them.

I am asking if any of our Forum members in Europe, especially Belgium know about this? Are there and other carriers who would ship them?

The bow makes the package 180cm long and that seems to require a special carrier.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Bill,

300 seems to be an enourmous amount for the bow to ship.
Indeed the length of the bow is the problem. 150 cm in the max.
Otherwise you'll need indeed an express shipper like DHL.
I use always Skynet after I tried DHL,Fedex,UPC etc.
Their service is very good while the price is lower ( but not cheap)

about the arrows he shoul send them separate with normal post.
What I also did before is just remove the heads and ship sticks and heads separate.

you have a PM.
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 10:22 PM   #11
Bill M

The length is 180cm. small width and height.