Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th February 2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default For those who love African swords

Fellow collectors,

For those who like African weapons, I would like to share this old warrior for show and comment.

A very nice 19th century Cheiftans/Status sword from the Mandinka community.

Very few African weapons really appeal to my personal tastes but these do, along with African Saifs. It will be displayed seperately from my other collections as I feel it is a stand alone piece with its bold designs and lovely colours. A few leather losses but over all very well preserved.

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

A very nice example but what makes this a chieftains status sword?

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Gav

A very nice example but what makes this a chieftains status sword?

Lew
Thanks Lew and a great question. Perhaps I should refrain from Chieftan and use Wealthy or person of High Standing, either could be a Chieftan though ;-)

One reference I was cited by a fellow collector here was "Christian Feest; The art of war", stating "These swords were the exclusive prerogative of Mandinka men of importance or social standing"

I look forward to further comments and insight from those more learned on the subject of African swords.

Gav
Old 26th February 2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

This is one that I have is a bit plainer than yours but with an old European blade.
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Nice

Another nice example Lew.

I like the broad blade too Lew, it remains in very good order. The blade on the piece I presented, if wasn't curved has the feel of a rapier, light, supple and lightning fast in the hand.

There is a lot to be learned about these swords, not yet covered in these pages and I look forward to learning more too. One question that comes to mind is the pommel...a pyramid where most are globes or do not exist?

I believe from conversations had with another in the European forum, the blade would be from from France, 1820-1860s. Wether it was a trade blade from this time and mounted then (I doubt), or wether once it had seen active military service was decommisioned and then made a trade blade agter the 1860s (sits better with me) I do not know.

I do know it is old and when I lifted it off the table after the photograph it certainly left the dust of Africa behind. Any ideas about yours Lew?

Gav
Old 27th February 2010, 12:25 AM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

Mine looks like it came from a 1796 Light Cavalry Saber? Here is another one I traded some time ago with a slimmer blade like yours.
Attached Images