Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th May 2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Gustav

Default Stunning early kris

Dear All,

just wanted to share some pictures I found on net. Would be nice to read some comments on it.
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default Beautiful

Beautiful piece. I can't help but think I have seen it within these pages before though....love the twist core and the hilt, well that's just stunning...if only there was preservation of the sheath.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Beautiful piece. I can't help but think I have seen it within these pages before though....love the twist core and the hilt, well that's just stunning...if only there was preservation of the sheath.

Gav
I've had the same feeling. It was discussed not so long ago here on the forum, try to search button and I'm sure you will find it..

Kind Regards,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Gustav

There are some interesting features on it. To describe them I am forced to use Javanese terms for Ricikan (features on keris blade), for reference please look at http://www.kerisattosanaji.com/kerisdiagram.html

A very interesting detail is Lambe Gajah, which starts at the upper end of Tampingan and falls in nice curvature: such Lambe Gajah is found on kerisses in early european collections before 1700, later mainly on Balinese keris. I have the impression, on later Javanese keris it often don't start directly at Tampingan or do start lover then upper end of it.

A feature common to most Kris blades are the notches at the front side of Gonjo (under Gandhik) - also found on Javanese blades mainly before 1700 and on Balinese also after.

Why this all? Most probably I am constructing bicycle for the second time

now and this only shows my ignorance, yet have some interest to know, which part of archipelago influenced the origin of Philippines Kris and at what time the it appeared. Clear is, it preserved some arhaic (or better classic) features of Javanese Keris.

Regarding the hilt: has anybody seen something similar, some thoughts on ornamentation? Intriguing is, there is clearly a division in Mendak and Selut, and Selut is resembling Balinese Selut a lot.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Gustav

Okay, here it is: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=brett

It seems, here are more pictures of it now. Would be very interesting to hear more thoughts and arguments on it.
Old 13th May 2011, 02:42 AM   #6
ThePepperSkull

Gorgeous piece! Transitional/early Kris are my absolute favourite, especially the half-waved twistcores, and this is a piece definitely worth envy!

(Now I want one of my own even more )

Does anyone know the regional origin of this piece? I've heard it being discussed as a Sulu piece on this forum, but I'm wondering what indicators are there that clue into it being from Sulu? (I'm wondering... is it the elephant mouth/trunk shape, and the thin/shallow fullers separating the twisted core from the outer edge steel?)

Conversely I could be completely wrong in my recollections and if so, where do pieces like this magnificent example hail from?
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 03:10 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

The Sulu attribution comes from the "elephant" on the ganga and the angle of the mouth opening.

And on the hilt form - it is old and rare but present on some Moro pieces. I have seen only 2 of these on Moro kris and both were made of silver.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote